1. Default Some honeymoon help!

Hi folks. Brand new to the site and looking for some advice.

I'm getting married next May and have decided on a road trip for our honeymoon. Thing is I don't want it to be too intense with massive amounts of driving every day. After we fly from Ireland I'm hoping to have at least ten days in the US. Ideally we'd like to fly to New York, San Fran, Chicago, Atlanta, Boston, Washington DC, or Orlando as they are the only cities you can fly directly to from Dublin.

I think my husband to be likes the idea of the Blue Ridge Parkway road trip, whereas I'm more drawn to New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis etc.

Is it advisable to book hotels/motels in advance. Can anyone recommend any trips for two out-going 29-year-olds?

Thanks in advance :)

Southern California

Lovely thought for a honeymoon! However, you mentioned 7 different cities in one paragraph and three more in another paragraph. All of those have wonderful things to do. What are your interests? Also, check around this site as there are wonderful suggestions for each of those cities mentioned (and plenty in between). We'll be a better help when you narrow it down for us. Also, get a big road map of the US and give us a general idea about routing, then we can help you even more.

South of England.

Default Congratulations !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As Donna noted, you have a lot of great options, but only you can decide which appeals to you the most as a couple, with perhaps a little compromise. You could get six or seven different answers, but it's what you two want that is important, me, I love the wide open spaces and scenery of the Southwest and it's amazing National parks. I'm not a lover of City's, yet really enjoyed San Fran. Vegas is a great starting point for wonders like the Grand canyon, Monument valley and some of Southern Utah's amazing scenery. Denver offers the likes of the Rocky mountain NP and other great mountain/alpine scenery. Perhaps you could consider a one way trip and experience some of the Blue ridge parkway and Memphis. Once you have worked out which destination and combined road trip hits the most spots, we can help you to fine tune your trip.

Enjoy the planning !

Tucson, AZ

Default What Works Best

Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I think your choice amongst your many options for gateway cities is pretty narrow, given your stated goals. The beauty of a fly/drive loop trip is that you can touch down at any city along your driving route and end up there at the end of driving the loop, so you can choose your gateway city solely on the basis of what works best in terms of flights (timing and price), car hire (price), and interests. If you want to spend some time in a city that you can fly into and don't need a car for, then you can save yourself a little on the car hire.

So what are your interests and options for this trip. If you want to see the Appalachians and lower Mississippi River, then Atlanta and Washington are going to work best for you. Washington is a city where you can easily spend a few days visiting world class museums and, of course, all our national monuments. It is also a city were a car is a minus (parking and navigation are real hassles). From there you can easily head over to Front Royal, VA and hop on the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway and take that down to the Great Smoky Mountains and Knoxville, then across Tennessee to Memphis and down the Great River Road to New Orleans. You could then return to Washington via the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville and through some real bluegrass, Scotts-Irish sections of Kentucky and West Virginia on your way back to DC for your return flight.

So have a look at that general routing, which can be done in a relaxed two weeks, even a slightly less relaxed 10 days if need be, and if it appeals to you we can then help fill in some specific recommendations depending on your specific interests.