Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Short roadtrip w/bf: Austin to Atlanta...need route + town/city suggestions

Hello there,

I'm trying to put together a short roadtrip from Austin (where I currently live) to Atlanta (where I'll be attending grad school). My boyfriend and I plan to leave Wednesday, July 20 and I'd like to arrive in Atlanta the following Friday night (really late) or early Saturday morning.
    If possible, I'd like to avoid interstates as much as possible, though, I know this isn't practical for the whole trip given time restraints.
    I need to decide which places are worthy of an overnight stay and which places we can visit for 1-2 hours.
    Basically I'm looking into roads, overnights, and short visits (kind of everything, right?!). Any ideas?

Any comments on the following route?
    Austin--Natchitoches, LA(visit)--Natchez, MS(overnight)--Jackson, MS(visit)--Oxford, MS (overnight)--Cullman, AL (maybe visit?)--...the rest is open for now...

ANY and ALL advice is much appreciated!

Welcome!

I plotted the route with my mapping software, and I'm afraid that avoiding Interstates, you are trying to go too far each day. Natchitoches would be a reasonable first night stop (but I'd probably bypass it completely and stop in Alexandria) and Tupelo would work for the second night - and you wouldn't be going through Oxford if you take the Natchez Trace Parkway (recommended). Tupelo to ATL through Cullman and Gadsden is reasonable on the 3rd day. Even with those overnights, you don't have much time at all to explore the towns you will be going through.

Default Finding the Right Mix (On the Fly)

When faced with a trip that can't be covered in the time available (if you stay on 'back' roads) and the desire to stay off the Interstates wherever possible, your best bet is to plot out the fastest Interstate route and then look for the 'old' US highways that parallel the Interstates and just jump back and forth as needed to balance the desire for a slower pace and the need for arriving at your destination on time. In your case, that would be US-79 to Marshall and then I-20 to Atlanta. Running parallel to I-20 are US-80 as far as Meridien, MS; US-11 to Birmingham, AL; and US-78 to Atlanta. You simply switch off between the two sets of roads as your circumstances allow.

AZBuck

Default Never thought of it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    When faced with a trip that can't be covered in the time available (if you stay on 'back' roads) and the desire to stay off the Interstates wherever possible, your best bet is to plot out the fastest Interstate route and then look for the 'old' US highways that parallel the Interstates and just jump back and forth as needed to balance the desire for a slower pace and the need for arriving at your destination on time.
    Thanks Buck, that is the best bit of advice I have read for a long time. Should certainly help a lot of roadtrippers with their planning. I know it will me.

Lifey

5. Default

Thank you everyone! I think I was trying to bite off more than I (well, actually 'we') can chew. I think I got stuck on the idea of going to certain cities/towns, when, in reality, I need to focus on getting to Atlanta...and having a little fun at the same time :-)

Default That's the way it goes

Quote Originally Posted by krmelman View Post
    ... in reality, I need to focus on getting to Atlanta...and having a little fun at the same time :-)
    I often think of the development of a road trip....
    • The Dream
    • The Plan
    • The Reality
    • The Trip.

Looks like the development of your trip, is about normal. lol

Lifey

7. Default One night somewhere btwn Tallulah, LA and Jackson, MS: where to stay?

My boyfriend and I are putting together a short (three days), but hopefully interesting, roadtrip from Austin, TX to Atlanta, GA around the end of July. We'll drive like mad the first day, and we hope to spend the night at an inn, b&b, hotel, etc somewhere between and Jackson.
    We're open-minded and are willing to get off the beaten path.

Any recommendations??? We'd truly appreciate your help.

Kate

Mod note] Please keep all questions regarding this trip in this thread. We have a one trip, one thread policy. Thankyou.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-26-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Merged threads.

Default A Bit Confusing

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I'm not quite sure what you have in mind, here. Do your three days cover both ways or is it just two days to Atlanta and a day there? But in the end, it may not matter. We typically only make recommendations based on personal experience, and unfortunately there are simply too many lodging choices, in too many towns, in too many categories, in too many price ranges for us to make meaningful specific suggestions. The best advice we can give you is of a general sort. For B&Bs and inns: scour the web, look at the decor, read reviews, check prices, call and talk to the owner, then go with your gut.

AZBuck

9. Default

I should've been clearer. Sorry about that! I'm actually MOVING to Atlanta. So my boyfriend and I have three total days to get from Austin to Atlanta.
    At this point, I'm trying to decide whether we should stay in Vicksburg, MS or Jackson, MS for our first night. Suggestions?

10. Default

One more thing! I've done a lot of research online, and, excluding Motel 6s and Marriott/Days Inn-type places, I have not found a whole lot of lodging choices between Tallulah, LA and Jackson, MS. We're looking for something that has character. Hopefully I've narrowed the parameters a bit...