1. Default Advice for On the Road Field Reports

Hi,

My son & I will be 'on the road' from 1st to 19th August 2011. We'll be driving from San Francisco to Denver via Los Angeles, Tuscon, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone & Rapid City (over 3,000 miles). It is my intention, internet & netbook permitting, to document our trip daily via the Field Reports thread, but I wanted some advice on what to cover and, perhaps more importantly, what not to cover. For example, would it be bad form to identify a specific business or quote costs if they were good/bad high/low etc etc? Any advice on uploading photographs, such as file format or file size? Finally, how much should I write?

Thanks in advance!

Default Not many guidelines

Howdy, if you're going to use our RTA PhotoShare to upload images, we generally recommend cropping images to 600 pixels wide, but there is more information here.

The Field Reports generally have little or no editorial guidance. As long as the information is accurate and posted timely, it's all fair game. The exception is any comments that violate our Good Neighbor Policy. Every place in North America is someone's home town... One of the hallmarks of this "Good Neighbor Code of Behavior" is that we do not embrace generalizations that are not based upon personal experiences***. In particular, we work towards the notion that there are no boring places anywhere. To be clear, we do not disrespect anyone's home town or regional area on this Forum. Likewise, negative generalizations about a group of people from one region encountered on a roadtrip are not acceptable. The Moderators on this Forum will actively enforce this version of the "Golden Rule." Elsewhere on the Web, it easy to find plenty of alternative forums where courtesy and respect are not has highly valued and those members who choose not to "play nice" will be given the opportunity to go elsewhere.

***What is always fair game and encouraged are "field reports" where members share examples of real life roadtrips. This forum has several such reports sharing some of the very real, and sometimes unpleasant aspects of roadtripping (bedbugs, breakdowns, traveler incompatibilities, etc.)****

Other than that... looking forward to reading your posts!

Mark

Default Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Seelda View Post
    ... to document our trip daily via the Field Reports thread, ...
    Wow, how great to have someone departing on a trip with the intention of giving us updates from the road, on a regular basis. Seelda, I do hope we will also get some of your son's impressions, of what he is thinking, feeling, doing, etc. I will be reading and riding with you.

As Mark said, not many guidelines. Just write it as if you're talking to us. You can be sure we will be listening.

Looking forward to it. Have a safe trip.

Lifey

I'm happy that Seelda asked this question. I, too, was wondering if it was acceptable to post such things as "this place wanted XXX dollars and wasn't worth it" (i.e. like a Yelp! or similar review).

Seelda, I also know that such things as road conditions - - particularly long stretches of "cone zone" (construction areas) are appreciated. I've noticed that the state transportation departments don't keep their websites up to date all the time. Same with rest areas that are closed. I really, really hate pulling up to a rest area and seeing the CLOSED sign - especially if I know it's a few miles down the road before there is another place with proper facilities!!!!!

Donna

5. Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice,

Unless we have a realy bad experiance, if I can't say something nice then I won't say anything at all. And if we come across anything usefull for others on the road then I'll post that as well.

I've been keeping an eye on the repairs to highway 1 at Big Sur. Looks like everything is up & running again. Hope it'll stay that way.

Seeing as we're in the Gear Up forum, I thought I'd list the gear I've assembled for our trip.

o Netbook (Universal AC charger means I can re-charge in hotel room using simple UK to US plug adaptor).

o TomTom SatNav. US version, bought from previous road tripper, on eBay.co.uk for £48

o 12VDC to 230VAC to provide UK mains voltage in car to charge netbook, iPod & camera battery during the day.

o I Intend getting a pre-pay Net10 or Trac Phone when we arrive. I think Trac are cheaper for international calls if we phone home.

o I also intend getting an insulated 'ice box' but we'll have to dump it before we fly home

o Recent paper map of full US
    Last edited by Seelda; 06-19-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Add map to list

o TomTom SatNav. US version, bought from previous road tripper, on eBay.co.uk for £48
    Great as a back up tool, but make sure you take some good old fashion paper maps ! That way you can check out everything around you and create a route accordingly. Much better than following a point to point route created by a mapping tool.

Edit] I see that has been taken care of, good, good !
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-19-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Added comment.

Default Report what happens to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Seelda View Post
    Unless we have a realy bad experiance, if I can't say something nice then I won't say anything at all.
    That's not really the line we draw here. If you glance over any of the recent RTA Forum field report posts (over the last decade or so) you'll see plenty of references to places that are not laudatory. We are interested in real life, real people and real experiences. Stuff happens and we encourage you to report it as it happens -- AS LONG AS IT REALLY HAPPENED TO YOU. Negative generalizations about any place will get edited herein. Even positive generalizations are not accepted herein. Personally, I look forward to those times, when the trip doesn't go as planned. I've met people and experienced situations you'd likely never choose, but they constitute some of my "best" road trip memories.

So, lay it out there. If you cross the line -- you can be assured that "Moderator-of-the-Day" is going to say something....

Mark

I also intend getting an insulated 'ice box' but we'll have to dump it before we fly home
    You may be able to get by with simple Styrofoam throwaway coolers.