Default Help - Canadians travelling from Boulder, CO to Port Angles, WA

I and my wife (Britons) are driving our son to University of Colorado, Boulder arriving August 14, 2011. We are starting out from Victoria, BC, Canada and will take the shortest, fastest route down to Boulder. After a few days in Boulder we want to take a road trip back to the Port Angles ferry. We are aged around 50 years and driving a ten year old Honda Odyssey. We intend to put our matress in the back to allow us some freedom to camp. Karen will not sleep in a tent anymore. So where to go and what to see during our 12-day drive back. We love the outdoors, mountains and national parks. Awe enspiring senery is a must. The coast could in there - already done Oregon coast but not Californian.
    So ideas are: Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone, Jackson, Flaming Gorge NPs, Dinosaur National Monument. But the USA is your territory. Where would you suggest? Where to camp? Where to stay over in friendly B&Bs? Interesting, historic towns, cities, museums? We are very excited in visiting the best that western USA has to offer. Thanks Douglas & Karen Adams
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams View Post
    So ideas are: Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone, Jackson, Flaming Gorge NPs, Dinosaur National Monument. But the USA is your territory. Where would you suggest? Where to camp? Where to stay over in friendly B&Bs? Interesting, historic towns, cities, museums? We are very excited in visiting the best that western USA has to offer. Thanks Douglas & Karen Adams

Hi Douglas and Karen,

You have a great list of ideas! Some of our best if I do say so myself!

Rocky Mountain National Park is right near Boulder, CO so it would be a waste not to spend a little time there. I haven't camped in Rocky Mountain National Park in some time so I don't know how easy it is to get a site without a reservations, but there are plenty of campgrounds in the park. I'd plan a couple nights if you can.

Dinosaur National Monument quarry won't reopen until October, but it's a scenic area with outdoor displays and a educational hike. It has nice campground with first come, first serve camping in a very scenic location. Dinosaur National Monument is worth visiting just for the scenery! One or two nights will be plenty.

Flaming George National Recreational Area is more of a boaters paradise. Not one of my favorites but worth driving though on your way to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I'd just drive though.

As much as I love the parks in Utah, Yellowstone is my favorite National Park. So much diversity in scenery and hiking. Lots of wildlife and history. You can usually find a campsite at the larger campgrounds in Grand Tetons without reservations. Yellowstone will be harder to get campsites without making reservations. I'd do a one or two nights at Grand Tetons and 3 or 4 nights if you have them in Yellowstone. It's a large park!

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the RTA Forum.

No doubt RMNP is first on your list. Estes Park, Bear Lake, and my favourite, the Trail Ridge Road, the highest paved road in US. It pays to check at the visitor centre in Estes Park to see if it is open. Even in summer, a blizzard can close the road. But if you can do it... it's spectacular. Leave yourself enough time to enjoy it, particularly at the pull-offs.

You can get there via 36 from Boulder, but I particularly like route 34 from Loveland through Thompson Canyon. A slower, but much more scenic ride. Be sure to stop at the small roadside monument to the victims of the flood, sometime in the 70s.

I could go on... you could spend a month in CO alone, and not see it all. Best thing you could do now, is get a good map of the US, one which shows main routes, urban centres and natural attractions (my favourite is the National Geographics wall map), and see what interests you along the way. When you have some of your favourites dotted on the map, come back, and the experts here will help you refine it, and fill in the blanks.

Lifey