1. Default Austin to New England Scenic route

We are planning a road trip from Austin to New England, we have two weeks and love history but not wars! Any suggestions?

Southern California

Welcome! In order for us to help you out a little more, we'd need some other information. For instance, do you have anything in mind already in terms of route, or any planning at all? Also, "History but not wars" is a very general statement, because it could be ancient history, pioneer history, aviation history, etc. Are you headed for any particular place in New England?

Default Stay West

Hello devkirn,

The non-war historical sites and sights you can encounter between Austin, TX and New England are innumerable. A brief recommendation as to routing is all I can offer without other inputs from you as to what you may be interested in:

One leg of the trip or the other might include some or all of the Natchez Trace Parkway, a National Park unit running from Jackson, MS (on I-20) to Nashville, TN (on I-40). Traveling east on I-40 to just east of Knoxville brings you to the southern terminus of I-81. I-81 in Virginia passes through the birthplace of country and bluegrass music between Bristol and Roanoke, with the Blue Ridge Parkway never more than about 15 miles to the east. Near Lexington, I-81 enters the headwaters of the Shenandoah Valley and at Staunton I-64 takes you a short distance over Rockfish Gap to Jefferson's Monticello and the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. Staying on the east side of the Blue Ridge brings Madison's Montpelier and a plethora of other Colonial and post-Colonial sites within reach. Going up US 15 and/or US 522 back through the Blue Ridge brings you out to Front Royal, where you can get back on I-81 just a short hop to the west. I-81 brings you through or close to Amish country in PA, through the Poconos in central PA, and you can choose a variety of options from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area to your ultimate destination in New England.

You can of course embrace Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, DC on one leg of the trip, too, provided you're prepared to deal with some serious traffic along I-95.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some You Shouldn't Miss

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Donna is absolutely correct that your request is simply too broad at this point and that you are going to have to put in some work to at least create a basic outline of a trip that will be meaningful to you. But to help get you started, here are a few places that you should probably include: the Natchez Trace is not just a scenic byway, it retraces the route used by the early Mississippi boatman to return upriver in the days before steam. The Historic Triangle in Virginia's Tidewater region includes both Jamestown and Williamsburg. Philadelphia is, of course, where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were written and enacted. And certainly there is no shortage of history in New England, so you will have to be a bit more specific about where you're headed.