Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nj=>ca

1. Default Nj=>ca

hi all,
    im driving from nj (08701) to ca (90004) next week.
    i am planning on following one of the three routes given to me by google maps.
    i hope to complete the trip in 5-6 days.
    my question is which of the routes is the most scenic on its own or has the most scenic stops not far from road, and why?
    unfortunately, i dont really have time for sightseeing on this trip but i do wanna get the most out of it.
    i appreciate any and all insight.
    thanks!

2. Default

Hi just me,

I'm not sure what three routes Google maps came up with but the shortest route would be I-70 to St. Louis, then I-44 down to Oklahoma City, OK then I-40 across. I'm going to have more info on the west than I will on the east. St. Louis you will pass right by the St. Louis Arch and you should be able to see it from the freeway.

Just west of Amarillo, TX is Cadillac Ranch which you will see from I-40. If you feel like stopping, just get off at the next exit and take the side road back.

Petroglyphs National Monument just west of Albuquerque, NM would take about an hour. In Arizona you have Painted Desert & Petrified Forest National Parks would be a scenic detour that would add about 35 miles to your route. Meteor Crater and Walnut Canyon National Monument are both just a little off the road in Arizona, but each would take an hour or so to see. I-40 is a nice drive. Red soil in Oklahoma, desert and a few mountains in New Mexico, red rock and desert in Arizona. Lots of old Historic Route 66 between Oklahoma City and Los Angeles on this route.

If you decided to go though Denver on I-70, you will get more mountain scenery. I-70 from Denver to I-15 in Utah IMHO is the most scenic interstate driving. If you take this route, make a little detour at Cisco, Utah and take scenic Hwy 128 into Moab, Utah. If you have time check out Arches National Park and return to I-70.

I'm not sure what the third choice could be.

Utahtea

3. Default

thanks you very much Utahtea!!!

all the suggestions and sites are really helpful.
    to clarify, im interested in driving through general natural beauty as opposed to visiting famous landmarks.

the route you suggested is indeed the first choice of google maps. thanks for all the tips.

if i decide to go on 70 from denver, google tells me to get there via the 80, would you recommend to get there on the 70 instead?

the third suggestion of google is to get to the 44 at st louis by way of 79 to 81 to 68 to 44

do you (or anyone) have any more info on which is the more overall scenic drive?
    i dont mind taking roads that will take slightly longer if they are beautiful but i dont want to go literally out of my way to visit a specific place.

thanks again

Default Would have to agree

Hi and Welcome to the RTA Forum.

I don't like any of the routes which Mr Google suggests, and like Utahtea, I suggest you take I-70 to I-15 and I-10 into Los Angeles.

You will have toll roads in PA and NJ, but I think you will find that this is the most scenic route. And it will give you small detours, such as Moab, through incredibly beautiful countryside.

I have always found the full length of I-70 most enjoyable with the variety of countryside it covers. Gives a great overview of the country. From the green hills in PA, through the farm land of the mid west, over the rockies and across the amazing south west desert of UT and NV.

What I would suggest, is that you use Google maps as a back up, and get yourself some good paper maps, or a road atlas, before you set out. If you are a member of AAA, then go there, and get a map for every state through which you will be travelling, and all the major urban centres in which you plan to stop.

With 5 - 6 days you could plan your stops every 400 - 500 miles, and still have time to do a little sightseeing.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I can't help to the East of Denver, but according to my mapping program there is nothing much in time along I80 or I70 to make a difference to Denver. [?] For scenery I would take I70 as it is often referred to as the most scenic Interstate in the US. If you followed UTt advice to Moab, you could possibly continue down 191 to 163 through Monument valley. This would take you to 160 and 89 to I40 with a possible detour to the Grand canyon South rim.

With Google maps you can use the 'drop and drag' feature to move the blue route line and experiment with different options, of which there are many and no one 'best' route. That comes down purely to the one you choose based on what appeals to you the most. You can find a lot of info on the forums and the Map centre will show you attractions along the way. If you get a couple of dots on the map we can certainly help fill in the blanks.

If you want to get any enjoyment out of the trip, I would allow a minimum of 6 days, and one more would make a world of difference !

I would suggest the following route - both from a scenic standpoint, and also to avoid toll roads as much as possible:

Go from Lakewood to Hagerstown MD via your choice of routes. If you want to almost totally avoid tolls, take US-9 to I-287 to I-78 to I-81. If you want to save time, the fastest way is I-195 to the NJ Turnpike, across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I-95 to Baltimore, then the I-695 beltway around the north side to I-70. Bring your EZ-Pass.

Then take I-70/I-68/I-79 back to I-70, take that all the way to I-15 to LA. This can be done in 5 long days on the road or 6 not so long days.

7. Default

thanks lifemagician, southwest dave, and glc!!

so i decided that i will take the I-70 to the I-15 as you all suggested.
    i will also probably take the detour onto hwy 128 and then return to I-70.

glc: to get to the I-70, what is the advantage of going through hagerstown, MD over taking the I-76 through pennyslvania?

are you aware of any more notable scenic routes that will only slightly lengthen the trip?

how do use the map center to find attractions along the way?

how do use the map center to find attractions along the way?
    Under the map to the right you will see 'Search for places within' where you can select distance. [default is 100 miles.] If you have made a route you can select 'along your route' or you can select 'click on map' and click on an area you will be travelling through. This is already active so to try it out, select and then click the map around the Denver area for example. Flags will pop up with various colours/initials [see Icon legend below map] and you can click on those to read more.

Default Scenic routes

Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    Are you aware of any more notable scenic routes that will only slightly lengthen the trip?
    When you get your maps and/or atlas, you will note that all roads which have a dotted line beside them, are scenic routes. Pick out any of them which are not too long a detour. You will be surprised by the gems hidden there.

Lifey

10. Default

thanks SD, i will try the map center now.

thats good to know, all the dotted lines are scenic routes. thanks lifey.