1. Default Chicago to Yellowstone national park

Hi guys, we are planning to drive from Chicago to yellowstone national park this summer, any tips or recommendations what to see on our way? thanks

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

On this forum, you'll get out of it what you put into it, and your brief post simply doesn't tell us anything about you or your plans - other than a starting and ending point.

If you share some details of what you are planning and what you've come up with so far, you'll be much more likely to get some useful information that will help with your specific trip.

How long do you have? What types of things are you interested in?

What comes to mind - the Badlands and Mt Rushmore of South Dakota. Those are along I-90. Also, if you don't mind a tourist trap or two, Wall Drug in SD is also fun, and Wind Cave National Park isn't far off of I-90.

If you go I-94, you pass Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota.

Have you got your reservations at/near Yellowstone yet?

Donna

Default The High Highway

I'll earnestly suggest either entering or departing Yellowstone via the Northeast Entrance along US 212, the Beartooth Highway. Miles and miles of above-timberline driving at and above 10,000'. The Beartooth makes for a particularly grand entrance to Yellowstone, as after passing through Cooke City, MT near the entrance, one drives into the Lamar Valley, a section of the Park rather less visited and featuring long valley views and much wildlife.

The town of Red Lodge lies on US 212 between I-90 west of Billings and the named portion of the Beartooth Highway, and it is a nice and enjoyable tourist town.

Foy

Default And the Bighorn Mts

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    I'll earnestly suggest either entering or departing Yellowstone via the Northeast Entrance along US 212, the Beartooth Highway. Miles and miles of above-timberline driving at and above 10,000'. The Beartooth makes for a particularly grand entrance to Yellowstone, as after passing through Cooke City, MT near the entrance, one drives into the Lamar Valley, a section of the Park rather less visited and featuring long valley views and much wildlife.
    A most spectacular drive, but don't be deceived by its distance, you are looking at three to four hours, and even longer if you are tempted to stop and take some memorable pictures.

Another detour worth taking for the views and the wildlife (especially later in the afternoon) is the road over the Bighorn Mts. Turn off I-90 just north of Sheridan WY and take alt14 through Dayton and on to Lovell. You will come past the Medicine Wheel - a short walk - and Bighorn Canyon Nat. Rec. Area. Continue along 310 to Rockvale and down 212 to Beartooth Pass.

Both are quite slow, through incredible country and scenery. But then, who'd want to rush through it. Ideally, if you can time it so that you overnight between Lovell and Red Lodge, you will see the Bighorn Mts at their best, late in the day, and the Beartooth in the morning.

And make sure you stop at the Top of The World Store.

Lifey