Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Books, books, books!

OK - favorite guide books, travel books, fictional books about travel, anyone?

This website has a huge amount of information, but unless you have constant on-the-road Internet, or you print out what you want, you "can't take it with you". We also love the AAA Tour books, but they're not the end-all either.

I checked out a Rough Guide to NYC from our public library. It was the only guidebook to NYC in that library, or any eastern city for that matter. What other guides are good to look through?

I just finished Cross Country, a non-fictional book by Robert Sullivan. It is about a family road trip from Oregon to NYC (mostly interstates). However, he goes into a lot of history - Lewis and Clark, history of the interstates, history of the highway system, and much more - almost TOO much (IMHO).

When I was a child, my mom handed me a book called Runaway Home. Intended as a 4th grade reading book, it was about the adventures of a family who had to move from their home in Maine, to take over their great-uncle's farm in Washington State. They sold their home, bought a travel trailer, and spent months traveling across the country, earning their way in places and having new adventures. Of course not only was reading taught through this book, so was history and geography. I absolutely loved the book, and still have it. I've read it aloud to my own children and several of my classes over the years. It's difficult to find these days, but it's a wonderful story even now, especially for children.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post

I just finished Cross Country, a non-fictional book by Robert Sullivan. It is about a family road trip from Oregon to NYC (mostly interstates). However, he goes into a lot of history - Lewis and Clark, history of the interstates, history of the highway system, and much more - almost TOO much (IMHO).
    I read this book last year and I find your comments to be spot-on. I think some of this has to do with the fact I had read or otherwise learned some of the statistics presented elsewhere prior to reading this book.

Some from my permanent collection:
    William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways
    Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent
    John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley
    (those are, I think, the obvious ones)

Tom Powell's The Restless American - Published in 1968, it's about a roadtrip from Rhode Island to Arizona, taken on a horse.

For guidebooks, I've found the Smithsonian Guides to Natural America to be helpful in planning several trips. Unfortunately, these have not been updated in 15 years.

Default More into reference books

On my travels, no matter where I am, I cannot help but pass through - rather than past - book stores... especially second hand shops and market stalls. The best and most enjoyable I have picked up so far is America's Wonderlands. Unfortunately, books are heavy, and I need to leave them behind.

Over the years, good meaning folk have given me a collection of the Bill Bryson books, though I can't say I have read any of them - only used them as reference books. Road Trip USA is another of these. And before my last visit to Alaska, my friend in MN gave me a copy of Alaska by James A Michener. Unfortunately the print was far too small for me to be able to read it. Hope to get hold of a larger print copy one day.

On the whole, a lot of the places I learn about is through my addiction to true crime books, almost all of which are set in the USA. I note the places mentioned and the points of interest mentioned in them, and if/when I am in the area, I look them up.

Lifey

Default I Give Books Away Every Week

On average I give a couple of dozen books away every week and I'm still over-flowing....

True crime eh? One of our would-be contributors (she's been invited to contribute more than once) wrote a classic true crime....And it's in a very intriguing area of the USA -- the UP. Check out this masterpiece by Melissa Preddy...

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-26-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Used bookstores and "Friends of the Library" bookstores in particular are places that I, too, love to stop at. Unfortunately when we travel, my husband always reminds me about the weight and space of books. So we have to hold ourselves to 1 or 2 each.

Is there a good used bookstore in mid-town Manhattan?

Donna

Donna, I'm a regular customer at the Friends of the Library bookstore in Santee. My sister lives in Lakeside and I'm out there every year. I have a whole wall full of 50 cent paperbacks.

Small world. We lived in Santee and on the border between Lakeside and El Cajon, several years. Now we're north inland county, where we've been for 20 years. Santee Library had a wonderful FotL bookstore. Ramona is building up to one, and Poway has one too. The Rancho Penasquitos Library has a good one, but I don't get over there very often.

Some of our local thrift stores have good used book sections. Gotta love 25c and 50c paperbacks!

Donna

Very small world. My sister has also lived in Poway and Ramona, so I know the area quite well.

Default Wow!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Gotta love 25c and 50c paperbacks!
    If you ever see any true crime, would love ye to pick me up some. I'll be over next year. LOL

Lifey

Will you be anywhere near San Diego next year?