Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default visit Las Vegas, San Fransisco, and Lake Tahoe

Already overwhelmed! My mum has just announced she plans to be in Las Vegas on the 12, January 2012, for her 60th birthday. We had planned on going skiing over xmas, so are now thinking Lake Tahoe (Heavenly), and fitting in Las vegas and San Fran. We would be coming from the United Kingdom with two young teenage girls. With the girls in mind I do not think Vegas would be a long trip, but I have little imagination of what they would find interesting there, maybe a show and the fair ground, oh and shopping for me!, (I have been Vegas before and my husband loves it!) Does any body have any recommendations of how to best plan this trip? I think we could be pretty flexible on dates, but the budget needs to be a consideration too!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The basic ideas of your trip do make up the most discussed route ideas on this forum.

Vegas isn't a great place for teens, but there is more than enough to entertain them for a couple days. Of course, the other reason this is such a popular trip is because of the large number of natural wonders that you can take in, including the California Coast, Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, The Grand Canyon, and several more parks in Utah.

Its just a matter of deciding which places are most interesting to you, and then coming up with a framework around that.

Default Winter.

When looking through those links and route planning you will have to keep in mind that the Sierra Nevada will be deep into winter mode and you won't be able to cross the mountains on the mountain passes like Tioga pass [CA120] and that you will be required to carry snow chains in Yosemite valley and Sequoia NP.

Lot's to keep the family entertained in Vegas for a couple of days, just walking around and watching the Strip attractions like the Bellagio water fountains, erupting volcanoes and pirate ships in battle going on outside the various hotels.

You could do a loop trip starting and ending in LV or SF or a one way trip starting in one and finishing in the other, or of time permits LA.

4. Default

Thank you Dave, we took your advise and have booked flights starting in SF and finishing in Vegas. We are verrrrry excited!

5. Default

Many thanks, yes there is so much to do and see, we have decided to allow a day extra for the traveling, so its just working out where we will need to stop between Lake Tahoe and Vegas, any suggestions?

I gave you quite a few suggestions in my previous post - but without knowing what your current plan looks like, it's going to be tough for anyone to give you any more specific ideas.

Default Which route?

Quote Originally Posted by melanie.tate View Post
    ... so its just working out where we will need to stop between Lake Tahoe and Vegas, any suggestions?
    Are you looking at route 395 in CA or 95 in NV? If the former, Bishop, Mammoth or Lone Pine - assuming you are routing through DV to LV. If the latter, Beatty - which would also allow you to route through DV to LV.

Lifey

8. Default San Fransisco - Lake Tahoe (Heavenly) - Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I gave you quite a few suggestions in my previous post - but without knowing what your current plan looks like, it's going to be tough for anyone to give you any more specific ideas.
    Okay excuse my lack of knowing anything to begin with! Basicaly we start in SF on 29th December and will plan an intinary before Driving to Lake Tahoe for a week ski trip on the 2nd January. Advise on this route may be helpful if its complex? (from what i have read there are so many rd choices between SF and LV, and considerations such as the weather and length of time etc.) Then leave Lake Tahoe on the 9th and begin the drive to Las Vegas stopping on route for a rest overnight. From the threads I have only managed to see directions from SF to LV without including Lake Tahoe. Reading some of the threads is like understanding a foreign language!

9. Default

Hi Lifey, to be honest I havent really looked at all, I am coming from England so even the abreviations do not mean much to me! I'm really asking for recommendations and why? I have just replied the timescales and order of destinations to Mid West Micheal, if your happy to help me the best thing is to assume your telling a child!!!

Quote Originally Posted by melanie.tate View Post
    Hi Lifey, to be honest I havent really looked at all, I am coming from England so even the abreviations do not mean much to me! I'm really asking for recommendations and why? I have just replied the timescales and order of destinations to Mid West Micheal, if your happy to help me the best thing is to assume your telling a child!!!
    OK! I know where you are coming from. I was just as confused as you, albeit a decade ago. And even today, have to ask for an explanation of the odd abbreviation.

Your confusion will diminish somewhat if you go to a good map of the US, and for the time being, forget about computer and digital mapping. Detailed maps of the US are available in the UK, and the larger it is, the better off you will be. I use a large wall map. If you have it on the wall, where you see it constantly, you will get to know the area, and understand where you are going, and where the routes go.

So here is my (cryptic - LOL) message explained:

Are you looking at route 395 in CA (California) or (route) 95 in NV (Nevada)? If the former, Bishop, Mammoth or Lone Pine - assuming you are routing through DV (Death Valley) to LV (Las Vegas). If the latter, Beatty - which would also allow you to route through DV (Death Valley) to LV (Las Vegas).
    Check those two routes out on a map. Basically, they both are almost a direct route from the Reno / Lake Tahoe area to Las Vegas.

I have never driven in the US in the winter, so am not altogether sure where you may strike snow, and exactly which roads are affected. But the 395 runs down the eastern side of the Sierras, and then near Lone Pine you can turn off and route through DV to LV. The 95 runs almost parrarel with the CA/NV border, on the NV side. You can turn off this route at Beatty and route through DV to LV. The places I mentioned would all make good stopovers on your way. I like Beatty, it is such a cute, remote, desolate little place. Bishop, Mammoth and Lone Pine are larger with more variety of accommodation.

So check that out on a good large map, and see if it all makes sense to you. It pays to refer to a good map as you are reading other threads in the Forums. It really does not make sense at all, if you can't plot the routes and (larger) places while you are reading.

And by the way, the route from SF (San Francisco) to Lake Tahoe is in winter, a route well travelled with all the skiers. I am almost inclined to say, just go with the flow, and you'll end up in the ski fields.

Lifey