1. Default Oak Creek Canyon, Grand Canyon, Sedona

Hi Everyone - Getting very excited about our upcoming 2 week road trip to the southwest. One leg of the trip will be from the Grand Canyon to Sedona. I have read about Oak Creek Canyon, which sounds like a great place to drive through/visit. Is this something that we should do on our way to Sedona after leaving the Grand Canyon, or does it make more sense to go to Sedona and do this as an outing. We only have 2 nights in Sedona, so I want to make good use of our time.
    Any suggestions of the best route if we do stop at Oak Creek Canyon after leaving the Grand Canyon?
    Thanks!!

Default As Long As You're Going That Way

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I would think you'd be best off by driving through Oak Creek Canyon on your way from the Grand Canyon to Sedona. After all it's directly on the way. You will, however, have to make sure that you leave the Canyon early enough so that you will have time to finish the drive before it turns dark, both for safety and to enjoy the beautiful drive. Two and a half hours should suffice, but more would be better. Just return to Flagstaff from the Grand Canyon and start out on I-17 south, but very shortly take AZ-89A at Exit 337 and follow that through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. If you have a little time, Slide Rock State Park makes a nice stop to cool off.

AZBuck

3. Default

You can drive down Oak Creek Canyon from the interstate (I-40)to Sedona..pretty road

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    If you have a little time, Slide Rock State Park makes a nice stop to cool off.
    On a warm day (and most of them at this time of the year are warm!), Slide Rock parking lot fills very quickly, and they will turn you away.

Donna

5. Default

Thanks for the info. Is there anyplace after leaving the Grand Canyon that we might be able to pick up some picnic things for a lunch stop in Oak Creek canyon - and - any good picnic place suggestions?
    Thanks

If you go through Williams, there are grocery stores there (definitely cheaper for picnic stuff than convenience markets). There are also stores in Flagstaff. I believe there are picnic areas in Oak Creek Canyon.

Donna

Default It's on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by maspinner View Post
    Is there anyplace after leaving the Grand Canyon that we might be able to pick up some picnic things for a lunch stop in Oak Creek canyon...
    There's a large Safeway in Flagstaff. And it is virtually on your way to the turn off to Oak Creek Canyon. If it is not marked on your map, or in your gps... just ask someone. It is the only large supermarket I have encountered in Flagstaff, and from memory, had a pretty good deli section.

Lifey

It is the only large supermarket I have encountered in Flagstaff, and from memory, had a pretty good deli section.
    It appears Flagstaff also has a Fry's and an Albertsons (which are the other two major grocery chains in the area). I haven't been to either, I just looked because I assumed Flagstaff would be big enough to have more than one major store.

Williams only grocery store is a Safeway located downtown between the one way streets. I have been there, and its a reasonable place to pick up supplies. Its not a huge store, but its got all the typical items you'd expect to find.

9. Default

Thanks all - always such helpful people here!