Default Well its that time of the year again

Me and the good lady are off to see my brother in Alabama but this time we thought we would fly from the UK to Boston and then drive to Alabama and then drive again to Houston and then fly home

I'm looking at 17 days for the holiday and at least 3-4 days driving to Alabama, maybe longer depending on stops, but i'd like at least a week with my brother as he's 50 this year

Now as we havent done anything even remotley like this in the USA, we are after a little advice

Whats the best Car Hire Company?

Would there be a problem picking a car up in Boston and dropping off at Huston?

I reckon i could get a decent car and fuel bill for the whole trip for about £1000, is this possible as we would like a decent car and would like a soft top?

i've looked at maps of the USA and it seems a nice enough drive but i dont want to drive past some of the lovely sights the USA has to offer but i realise that coming of the highways will lessen the time i have to spend with my brother.

appreciate any help or pointers

Many Thanks

THC

Welcome!

I would recommend you inquire about rentals through a UK consolidator such as carhire3000.com. We have heard that they can get better rates than dealing with the US agencies directly.

I just ran something through their site - you can get a Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible or similar with 2 allowed drivers for 17 days in July for about 760 GBP. Petrol should be in the 250 GBP range. I do not know what taxes and fees would be charged over that basic rate. Anyway, that's in the 1000 quid range so you have a reasonable expectation.

Cheers

we've decided to drive from boston and also drive back to boston.....i reckon 6 days driving with 10 days with my brother.......thanks for the website tip

Interesting - I ran a round trip from Boston through the website and no convertibles showed up.