Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates

Default 6 week Road Trip!

I am new to this forum. I have enjoyed reading the road trip stories. I am an American living in Abu Dhabi. Next summer myself and 5 friends will embark on a 6 week road trip through America. I'm really looking forward to showing my friends my country!
    We will be traveling in a Class C motor home and starting in my home town in south Florida. I'd like to go across the bottom of the country, then up the west coast, head back east and then down the east coast including Maine back to Florida.
    Of course we want to see the main attractions like Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc, but we'd also like to see funky places across the country like the Cadillac graveyard, biggest rubber band ball and things like that.
    I've bought the map, started drawing lines, been reading lots of web sites, bought the RV in America book and looking for suggestions!

Thanks!

2. Default

Cadillac Ranch is just west of Amarillo, Texas and you see it as you pass by on Interstate 40. Once you see it take the next exit and you can drive the side roads back to see it.

I-40 is not only a nice drive, but you will run into a lot of the Old Historic Route 66 in the towns along the way and there are a lot of great funky things to see.

Don't forget to go stand on the corner in Winslow, AZ! When we were there last year they were almost done with the renovations.

From Las Vegas to Los Angeles on I-15 you will go right by the town of Baker and the home of the World's Largest Thermometer.

Utahtea

Rock on... the World's Largest Thermometer will be met with glee by a RV full of midwives!
    Thanks for the info Utahtea! These are exactly the things we want to see.
    I'm still hoping that 6 weeks will be enough to traverse the country :0) My goal is to be in Boston around the 4th of July did it once, back in 2004... most amazing thing ever!
    Thanks for the suggestions... keep 'em coming!

Like theater? Black Bart's in Flagstaff is supposed to be wonderful dinner theater. My parents (who are avid theater buffs) love to go there when they're in Flagstaff. There's an RV park attached that they like, too.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Like theater? Black Bart's in Flagstaff is supposed to be wonderful dinner theater. My parents (who are avid theater buffs) love to go there when they're in Flagstaff. There's an RV park attached that they like, too.

Donna
    Thanks, Donna! I love theater! I will put this on the list of things to do!

Default Quite some adventure !

Hi Sandi and welcome to RTA!

You will have a million and one options as you make you way coast to to coast and back again and you have plenty of time for planning. I would continue to use the RTA resources with a good map to hand and keep putting some dots on the map of major stops [as you have started to do] and then we can help join them together with suggestions of 'in between' places. The National and State parks are great places to stop and camp out in the RV and there are many of them in the Four corners area along with the Grand canyon, great driving roads and amazing scenery. Check out nps.gov for all the info on NP's. If you plan on visiting a few NP's [four or more major ones] then it would make sense to purchase the annual pass for $80 as it will save you money.

You can find many more attractions in the toll bars above, check out the Map centre !

As new questions come up just keep asking !

Thanks, Dave! I will definitely plan on getting the annual pass, as the NP's are of a big interest to all of us.
    This brings me to another question... one of things I really wanted to try and do with this holiday is not be pressed for time, but from all I've read, it looks like I should have reservations at all of the RV parks, whether they are in or out of the NP's. Do you think this is necessary? I so wanted to not have to do this if possible. I love travelling by the seat of my pants, but don't want to risk having to sleep in Walmart parking lots... LOL.
    Thanks for all the advise, look forward to planning this holiday with the forum and then reporting back as it unfolds!
    Sandi

Default I mix it up.

Yes, it's always a bit of a dilemma choosing between freedom and security. There is no right or wrong answer just your style of travel. The trouble is that RV sites are limited in NP's and being popular [especially in the summer months] book up real quick. You will find 'somewhere' to stop the night but this could easily be an hours drive from the NP and for me, you just can't beat the experience of being there. Most parks have free shuttle buses that pick up from near the campgrounds and that is also is a bonus as you don't have to move camp to sight see and you also get a day off from driving. I usually mix it up a bit and book major stops like the Grand canyon and if for instance, I was going to be in Yosemite 2 or 3 day's later would book that and leave those bit's in between open to change. Having a start and end date to the trip, I also find it helps me to keep on track time wise and reach my main 'targets'. I might not get out of the first park if not ! Lol.

Default NP campgrounds, hookups and what we do

Realize, though, that NP campgrounds don't always have hookups. The ones that do, usually take reservations far in advance and therefore fill up quickly. We used the same system for our (former) RV that we do (now) for motels: we get the reservations in the places that fill quickly and where we definitely want to stay, and go "potluck" for those overnights where another 10 miles isn't gonna kill us.

Grand Canyon Trailer Village has hookups and fills quickly. Zion has one campground that is first come first served, and one that takes reservations. From experience, though, there's a decent RV park that is just outside of Zion, on the other side of the river from Watchman CG. It's called Zion Canyon RV and Campground. You still get the experience of "staying in the park" but you have access to the RV park's showers.

Donna

In all honesty I can't remember a NP campground that does have hook ups, but many have shower/loo blocks [that help to save on water supply in the RV] a dump station and fresh water station to empty and refill. Most rental RV's come with a push button start generator that you can use to preserve battery life when using power. [Observing 'quiet hours' rules].