1. Default US Road Trip East to West

Hi there,
    I'm planning a two months coast to coast trip with my girlfriend in beginning of October.
    The main plan for the trip is to fly in to New York spending a few days in Manhattan and then leasing a car and driving trough Niagra Falls Cleveland Detroit and Chicago then crossing south till Dallas and going back West trough Denver Las Vegas Los-Angeles and flying back from San Francisco.
    This is the main check points in the trip in general we are extremely flexible about the trip.

I have a few questions,
    First does anyone known if it's possible for a Non-US citizen to buy/lease a car and how ?
    Secondly does anyone have any advice about places to go trough ?

Default Simple answer is, you can't!

Hi and Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by dr489 View Post
    First does anyone known if it's possible for a Non-US citizen to buy/lease a car and how?
    It is virtually impossible to buy a vehicle as a non-resident. And anyway, for a two month trip, it just would not be cost effective.

It is relatively easy to rent a vehicle for a coast to coast trip, though you will be up for a one way drop of fee. A loop in the same time frame could be much more economic as far as rental goes. Check around the rental companies for a good deal. From what I have heard, it is much cheaper to rent from Newark, than it is from NY. It is advisable to check several locations of each company.

You could go from Chicago to Denver, through the southern NPs in Utah and on to SF through LV, Death Valley and Yosemite. You could then continue the loop south from LA to the GC and onto Dallas, working your way north back to NY through some of the NPs and Washington DC.

When it comes to the west coast, I would recommend that you do the coast road from north to south. It makes it much easier to be on the ocean side for all the view points and pull offs.

As you read through the forums, you will come across many places to visit. Pick those which interest you, and check the mapping centre (above) for further attractions along the route.

Get a large US map on which you can lay out a route, and enjoy the planning.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    When it comes to the west coast, I would recommend that you do the coast road from north to south. It makes it much easier to be on the ocean side for all the view points and pull offs.
    That is true. However, going South to North allows you to travel with the sun at your back. As always, a trade-off.

--Jon

4. Default

The main plan for the trip is to fly in to New York spending a few days in Manhattan and then leasing a car and driving trough Niagra Falls Cleveland Detroit and Chicago then crossing south till Dallas and going back West trough Denver Las Vegas Los-Angeles and flying back from San Francisco.
    You mention starting in October and taking 2 months, but you don't want to get to Denver to late in October because they can start getting snow in the Rockies.