1. Default Planning a road trip from Orlando to New York City

My family and I are planning a road trip from Orlando to New York City in August. Any advice? how much should we budget for gas and others?

Welcome!

How many days are you planning on taking, and what do you want to see along the way? Do you just want to grind your way up I-95 or do you want to take less congested roads? How large is your family? What are your hotel preferences?

3. Default

We are a family with 2 kids (9 and 12), and a 24 young man. We are open to any suggestion about places to visit on the way. This is our first road trip and don't know so much about it. We have 10 days planned and, want to stay at least 5 days in NY.

Okay. By fastest route (I-95), this is a full 2 day drive. To do anything but that, you will need at least a 3rd day and you won't have much time to do much exploring.

For budgeting, here is our fuel price calculator. You will need to know about what kind of gas mileage your vehicle gets and about how many miles you will be driving. Via I-95, it's 1200 miles each way. I would guess that $4 a gallon would be a reasonable number to use.

Hotels - to be safe, plan on $100 a night, more than that if you need 2 rooms. Not many hotels allow more than 4 in a room.

Food? You can figure that based on what restaurants, fast food places, and groceries cost in Orlando.

Throw in $50 or so for tolls and check on the parking and hotel situation in New York City (expensive).

Default Two day trip

Quote Originally Posted by DSAAVEDRA View Post
    We are open to any suggestion about places to visit on the way. ..... We have 10 days planned and, want to stay at least 5 days in NY.
    With that time frame and plan, you will not have much time to visit places on the way. It is a two day drive each way. August being the height of summer and tourists, progress may not always be as speedy as you wish it to be.

Lifey