1. Default How Long...Is it Possible? Cross-Country & Back!

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a trip which is pretty far off, July 2013. I'm trying to get an idea of how long, which roads, best sights, and cost. The plan is to drive from the east coast to the west coast and back. We would like to travel through the north states going (NY-LA), and return through the southern states (LA-NY). We will be renting a RV. There will be children, and young - older adults, with different interests.

All feedback, help, tips, sites to see and suggestions welcome. Weather issues we may encounter also. How long would this type of trip take approx., stops included?

Thank you all very much

Good heavens, there are people who cross the country and back in the space of a couple of weeks, and others who take two years!

First, decide about how long you CAN be gone. Most people do have limitations, due to work, school. "July 2013" can mean all 31 days, or it could mean 2 weeks or 3 weeks.

Then, decide about how much you can spend on the trip. Bear in mind that renting an RV itself is going to cost you upwards of $100 a day - call or get online to Cruise America and see how much they're charging for the size of RV you need. Yes, it's cheaper to o'nite in an RV, and DEFINITELY cheaper to eat with on! But you will need to decide if you want to eat out (who wants to miss regional favorites or a restaurant they've seen touted on TV?!) or if you must eat every meal in. Then figure FUEL. RV's are definitely gas guzzlers - they are not your average compact car - and some even take the more expensive diesel.

Once you get an idea of length of trip and budget, go through everybody's "fantasy list". What do your passengers each have in mind for this trip? Everyone has different interests, and there's no way that any of us can make any recommendations until you have that info.

Finally, this website is chock full of interesting information. I spent days combing through what was here before finally chiming in on the forums. (And now that I'm here in the forums, I love it! It feeds my "wanderlust" until I can actually go wandering.) You will find interesting things that you may not have even thought of.

My husband and I are going cross-country and back during the month of July. However, we are not doing much stopping along the way. We're going to family in Phoenix during the 4th of July weekend, then hightailing it to NJ in 5 or 6 (long) days of driving. We want more time to spend in NJ with my brother, and seeing NYC/Philadelphia. Then we'll make our way to MO stopping in Dayton OH (Wright Bros stuff) and in MO to see more family. Our final 3 days will be long-haul driving home. This, we hope, is our last motel-trip before buying another RV. The one thing about car trips that I DON'T like is restaurant-restaurant-restaurant. I get sick of eating out!

Donna

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Donna's given you some excellent starting points. Basically, the one thing you should remember more than any other is that there is no such thing as a One Sized Fit All Roadtrip. In fact, that's exactly what makes the roadtrip such a fun and unique experience.

There is no list of best sites, except for the ones you are most interested in. You need at least 2 weeks to drive cross country and back, as you're looking at a basically 5-6 days of hard driving each way. From there, time is completely up to you, depending upon how much time you've got available and how many things you want to see. There is no upper limit, as you could travel for years and not see everything.

Cost, again depends a whole lot on you, how you travel, etc. RV travel is a lifestyle decision, not a cost savings one. It can be a lot of fun, but when you factor in the costs of campsites, extra fuel, etc they will typically be more expensive than doing a car/motel trip.

BTW, even in a car trip you don't have to eat out every day. A $20 tabletop gas grill or stove can make it easy to make hot meals while on the road.

4. Default

We live on the west coast and any time we made a trip to the East Coast I made sure we had at least a month to spend. As others have said, this can be done in less time and you can totally spend as much time as you can afford!

It might be better to come up with the "must see's for all of those going on this adventure and then go from there.

Utahtea

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

BTW, even in a car trip you don't have to eat out every day. A $20 tabletop gas grill or stove can make it easy to make hot meals while on the road.
    Point well taken....but then you have to make room in your vehicle for a pot or pan to cook in, and bring two coolers instead of one.

As my dad is fond of saying: "everything's a trade-off."

I figured out that things even out between motel/hotel/restaurant and RV trips, if you don't figure in the initial cost of the RV (if you do, then figure in the initial cost of the car you travel in too).

Donna

Default Why?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    ....but then you have to make room in your vehicle for a pot or pan to cook in, and bring two coolers instead of one.

Donna
    Why?

A compact camp cooking set - most are large enough for two - and a visit to the local supermarket on arrival is all you need. It is the way I travel for months at a time, in the US, and the way I am travelling at the moment. Lightweight and unbreakable cups plates and containers (such as Tupperware) completes the outfit. Everything should fit into a cardboard box. Very little extra space and weight.

Lifey who did it with a family of seven
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 06-09-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: silly mistake made in a hurry