Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco to Denver

I'm planning a drive from San Francisco to New York and have decided to drive through Denver since I-70 in Colorado is one my favorite stretches of road in the country. The trip between California and Utah however is something I haven't done before and I'm trying to decide between these two routes:

I-80 - I-15 (south) - US6(UT) - I-70
    US120 - US6 (NV) - US93(NV) - I-15 (north) - I-70

Has anyone taken the second stretch through Nevada and if so it worth taking over I-80 straight to Utah.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Nic

Default Worth it ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

It really depends on what you are looking for and how long you might take, but CA120 is worth it for the trip across the Sierra Nevada on the Tioga pass alone IMO. If you have time to spend in Yosemite NP, even better. Through Tonopah you can carry on to Ely and hook up with US 50 or head down the 'ET highway' [NV375] to US93 and Cedar City. Perhaps you have time to detour to some of Utah's NP's like Zion and Bryce canyon, what about scenic byway 12 to Torrey ? Lot's of options, but you don't tell us anything about your goals for the trip, are you sight seeing or aiming to get from 'A' to 'B' quickly ?

3. Default

I-80 - I-15 (south) - US6(UT) - I-70
    The problem I see with this route is taking US6(UT) you miss the San Rafael Swell area which is between Fremont Jct and Green River, Utah on I-70. Talk about scenic!

US120 - US6 (NV) - US93(NV) - I-15 (north) - I-70
    You can't go wrong with driving though Yosemite. Not sure when you plan this trip, but currently Hwy 120 over Tioga Pass is still closed due to snow and there isn't a current date when it will open. I happen to love Hwy 120 past the park too! From US93(NV) you will have to travel in Hwy 50 to get to I-15, but you can keep going on Hwy 50 till you hit I-70. It's a good road.

If Tioga Pass is still closed, you might consider taking Hwy 50 in CA, NV and Utah. I personally like this route. There's actually a lot to see and do on this route. Places like Grimes Point Petroglyphs, Historic Pony Express stations, Sand Mountain, Hickman Petroglyphs, Charcoal Ovens State Park and you pass very close to Great Basin National Park, NV.

If you have the time while traveling in Utah, you might consider taking a detour down to Moab, UT (Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park if you have the time) and taking scenic Hwy 128 back to I-70.

Default Better than good

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    ... but you can keep going on Hwy 50 till you hit I-70. It's a good road.
    Much more than a good road, I think it's a fantastic road. You won't see much traffic - being the Loneliest Road in America - but you will see some great scenery, and it seems different after each mountain pass you cross. Start with a full tank in Reno, and you'll be fine till you get to the end.

I'd have to agree that I-70 in CO is great, but don't dismiss I-70 in eastern Utah. It can be jaw-dropping.

Lifey

I-70 between Salina, UT and Green River, UT is among our favorite parts of I-70 (which we have driven between UT and MO many times, thanks to family in MO). The other part is from Grand Junction into Denver, in CO. Those are the reasons my husband almost always favors I-70 when needing to travel to MO from our home in SoCal.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 06-08-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding info

6. Default

Thanks for the responses! This trip will be mostly driving unfortunately, planning 5 days from coast to coast, however I've visited most of the national parks in Utah so I won't be missing out along the way. I'm mostly looking for a scenic drive since I won't have too much time to stop along the way.

It sounds like US-50 through Nevada is a good choice and a road I haven't taken before. From there I can join up with I-70 through Utah and Colorado.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Yep, that's going to be 5 full days of driving with little time for much else other than where you spend the night. Take plenty of short breaks along the way and have a safe journey !

If you are doing this in 5 days and want to take I-70, this is my recommended routing:

Take I-80 to Fernley NV, then Alt-50 to US-50 to I-70. Take I-70 into PA, then I-79 to Morgantown WV to I-68. Take that to I-70 to Hagerstown MD to I-81 to Harrisburg to I-78 to NYC. Suggested overnights:

Ely NV
    Denver CO
    Columbia MO
    Wheeling WV

This also avoids most of the toll roads from Chicago east.

In Columbia, the Drury Inn has a good coupon in one of the coupon books for accommodations (either Room Saver or Travel Guide).

There are loads of hotels with coupons in Denver. We usually stay way east of Denver, in Burlington, rather than Denver.

This will be a very long trip. We are taking six days to drive from San Diego to New Jersey, with overnights about 600 miles apart. What works for us: get up early, leave at daybreak, drive until the sun is just popping up in the east and THEN stop for breakfast. It avoids driving with that sun right in your face. Then drive until about 4 in the afternoon. We enjoy a pool or hot tub at the hotel if one is available, then go to dinner. Early to bed, early to rise, as Ben Franklin used to say.

glc has a good route to avoid those toll roads and turnpikes. Saves a lot of $.

Donna

Staying east of Denver would be a very good idea from the morning traffic standpoint. You will be going the opposite direction of most of the rush hour traffic when you hit the road. I don't know if I'd want to try to make it as far as Burlington though, maybe someplace near the airport would be suitable. Play that by ear, depending on what time you get through Denver and how you feel. Limon is a viable option, but the hotel choices are fairly limited. Note that 470 is a license plate toll road, if you use it they will mail you a bill.