1. Default RV roadtrip starting in SF

Hi everyone,
    We're flying with our 2 kids to SF from Singapore towards the end of June. We are on a 3 week campervan vacation and have roughly planned our itinerary. We were wondering if this works:

25-27 June San Fran (2 nights)
    27th SF to Big Sur (stay for 1 night in Big Sur)
    28th-29th June Big Sur to Santa Barbara, (stay for 1 night in Santa Barbara)
    29th-1st July Santa Barbara to Disneyland, (stay for two nights in Annaheim)
    1st-2nd July Disneyland to Phoenix(stay for 1 night in Phoenix)
    2nd-4th July Phoenix to GrandCanyon (stay for 2 nights in GrandCanyon)
    4th-5th July GrandCanyon to Mesa Verde(stay in Mesa Verde for 1 night)
    5th-6th July Mesa Verde to Canyonlands (stay for 1 night in Canyonlands)
    6th-7th July Canyonlands to Arches(stay for 1 night in Arches)
    7th-8th July Arches to Bryce (stay for one nights in Bryce)
    8th-9th July Bryce to Vegas (stay for 1 night in Vegas)
    9th-10th July Vegas to Kings Canyon(stay for 1 night in Kings Canyon)
    10th-12th Kings Canyon to Yosemite(stay for 2 nights in Yosemite)
    12th-13th Yosemite to SF ,stay in SF for 1 night before we fly back to Singapore

Appreciate a few inputs, is this too rushed or any feedback would be appreciated... Similarly advice for RV parks would be great!

Thanks,

Welcome!

A couple observations - at present CA-1 is blocked by a landslide south of Big Sur. It may or may not be open when you are here. The chances of you obtaining campground reservations in the national parks at this late date are not good at all, and the chances of getting a "first come first served" space are quite poor later on in the day. The July 4th weekend is going to be particularly crowded everywhere, because that's one of our national holidays.

Default Thoughts.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Your trip is doable and certainly quite 'busy' that would be to rushed for some and OK for others, it depends on your style of travel. Also you don't say what your 'Campervan' is, but in an RV the travel times are going to be longer than in a car. The part from Arches to Kings canyon is particularly stretched with little time to enjoy the places you are visiting and Vegas to Kings canyon is going to be a long day on the road. Unless there is a particular reason for visiting Phoenix I would be tempted to go straight to the Grand canyon and free up a little time. As great as Kings canyon is you could opt to go over the Tioga pass [CA120] into Yosemite and cut that part of your journey out. The popular route would be across Death valley but you will have to check your rental agreement as RV's can be banned from going across there by the rental companies. You will also have to keep up with the latest on the highway conditions around Big Sur due to mud slide problems blocking part of the road. You might have to go back up towards Monterey and take the 101 to SB.

As for campgrounds, the National parks are a great option as you are visiting them but I would expect them to be booked up by now. Some have 'first come first served' sites but they can fill up quite quickly in the morning. Check them out at Recreation.gov, here. You will find RV parks nearby, but even they can begin to fill up so I would check out your options. If the NP's are full you could try Cameron trading post for Grand canyon, Bryce> Ruby's Inn and Yosemite Pines for Yosemite.

4. Default

Thanks Dave.

To drive from Anaheim to Grand Canyon seems quite a distance. Is it doable in your view in one day in an RV?

Cheers,

You are looking at 485 miles, which would be a very long day in a RV, especially if you have traffic issues getting out of the LA area (very likely). It's even longer if you go through Phoenix - the fastest way is I-15 to I-40.

Yes it would be a long day, probably 10 hours with an early start to avoid traffic issues in LA. You would still have the option of stopping overnight on route nearer to the Grand canyon than adding almost 100 miles going via Phoenix though. If Phoenix is somewhere you would like to head for a night then that's fine too.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Yes it would be a long day, probably 10 hours with an early start to avoid traffic issues in LA. You would still have the option of stopping overnight on route nearer to the Grand canyon than adding almost 100 miles going via Phoenix though. If Phoenix is somewhere you would like to head for a night then that's fine too.
    samulder, You are going to be leaving the LA area on a Saturday of a holiday weekend and if you take I-15 towards the Grand Canyon you ARE going to hit traffic on the way to Barstow because of the droves of people leaving the city to go to Las Vegas!

Unfortunately you will also be at the Grand Canyon over a holiday weekend. If you want to stay in the National Park Campgrounds you need to start checking for cancellations right now! Keep in mind that the National Park Campgrounds do not have hook ups. Most will have a dump station and fresh water.

Mesa Verde shouldn't be a problem getting a first come, first serve site at Morefield Campground. If it is full there are nearby private campgrounds but it would mean taking time to go back out of the park. The drive from the Grand Canyon to Mesa Verde is going to take about 5 hours if you don't make stops as you exit the Grand Canyon and that doesn't leave much time to see Mesa Verde park.

Not sure which section of Canyonlands you planned to visit. The southern Needles section has a small campground and it's first come, first serve and there's nothing around if you don't get a campsite. If you are talking about the Island In the Sky District, the campground only has 12 sites and the chances are very slim of getting one unless you are there early in the day. I would suggest staying in Moab, Utah to see both Canyonlands and Arches. I doubt if you can get into Arches with a reservation at this late date and it's going to be VERY HOT! If you stay in town you can have electrical hook ups and stay cool during the evening.

Between Bryce and Las Vegas I hope you will drive though Zion even if you have to pay the $15.00 tunnel fee in an RV.

Yosemite Valley campgrounds in the park are going to be booked, but keep checking for a cancellation on the dates you need.

Utahtea

Grand Canyon has Grand Canyon Trailer Village, which has electric and water hookups, if memory serves. (I'm not sure about sewer.) I don't believe any of the other NP on the OP's list have hookups, though.

Donna

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Grand Canyon has Grand Canyon Trailer Village, which has electric and water hookups, if memory serves. (I'm not sure about sewer.) I don't believe any of the other NP on the OP's list have hookups, though.

Donna
    Grand Canyon Trailer Village books months in advanced. On the 4th of July weekend, they will be lucky to get into Mather Campground which does not have hook ups. BUT, it won't hurt to check for cancellations at both campgrounds.

Utahtea