1. Default Road Trip: Boston to New Orleans

Hi everyone!

With two other friends, we are planning a road trip from Boston to New orleans (our first road trip)for the last two weeks of August (I think we have plenty of time for the distance). The idea would be to look for interesting/strange places where to stop and to avoid as far as possible the highways. We would like to experience at the same time the joys of a road trip (landscapes and motels) and to visit some big cities that are on our way.

So far, I thought we could first go to see Cap Cod, then NYC, probably Philadelphia, DC. I found on this website an interesting way from Charlottesville to Galax that seems to fit perfectly with our trip. Then a friend told me that it would be interesting to go to Asheville, it seems to be on our way too. What do you think about that? Could it be part of the trip?

So if you have any suggestions/remarks on which way we can take, where we can stop etc. it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!
    JC

Default A Few "Interesting/Strange Places"

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The country is full of such places. All you have to do is look and keep an open mind. Some that I've enjoyed and can recommend: The 13th Street Theatre in New York. The night I was there, they were performing a good old-fashioned melodrama with free beer to encourage audience involvement. The 9th Street Italian Market in Philadelphia, a combination of restaurants, markets and street vendors where just a stroll down the street is a treat for the senses. Also Elfreth's Alley for a sense of what Colonial Philadelphia was like. Between Philly and DC, skip I-95 and Baltimore and take US-13/US-301 south from Wilmington to US-50 over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and stroll around Annapolis. If you have a little time on this leg, take MD-213 and visit the Schooner Sultana in Chestertown, MD and the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.

From DC south, you can pretty much eschew the Interstates and use the excellent system of four lane, divided highways throughout the South. For example, US-29 to Charlottesville, US-23 from Asheville down to the Atlanta area. US-431/US-231 from Columbus, Georgia down to the Gulf at Panama City, Fl. US-98 along the Gulf Coast. If you go this general route, some other places you might want to look into include Callaway Gardens, FDR's Little White House, and Andersonville in Georgia; the National Naval Aviation Museum in Florida; and Gulf Islands National Seashore in Mississippi.

AZBuck