Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Moving from MI to OR - advice appreciated

My husband, cat and I are moving from Royal Oak, MI to Portland, OR for work. We will be traveling 4th of July weekend. The trip is exciting but a little daunting too...we're looking for advice on the most "scenic" route without adding to much miles to the trip. We do have a friend in Minneapolis we'd love to visit but would prefer traveling South Dakota to North. Other than that we're open to any helpful input. Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time do you have for this trip? Obviously you could easily visit both Minneapolis and South Dakota, but that's not going to be the shortest possible route, and no matter which way you go its really not a trip you can do in weekend.

3. Default

We are probably leaving on Thursday and would like to get to Portland Monday. Wish we could take it leisurely but with the cat it's difficult (she's a terror in the car).

Well, that's about right. Its a trip that you could do in as little as 4 day, but you (and your cat) would probably be more comfortable doing it in 5.

If you want to do both Minneapolis and South Dakota, I'd recommend you have the full 5 days (basically all day thursday and monday). I imagine you'd still want to mostly stick to the interstates, but there are a few cases where you could take a short detour - like doing the badlands loop, or dipping down to Custer SP and/or past Mount Rushmore. Otherwise, you might be better off just sticking to I-94 across North Dakota - but still taking time for a quick look at the Northern Badlands in and around Teddy Roosevelt NP.

5. Default

thanks - that's what I was thinking too. So excited to get to Portland and begin exploring more of our beautiful country. Appreciate the advice. Can you offer any suggested stopping points as far as attractions?

So far I was thinking, Madison, WI, Minneapolis, MN, Rapid City, SD...not sure from there?

Default Parsing things out

That last leg from Rapid City to Portland is 1200 miles... may be too much for two days driving.

Can you squeeze another day out?

If you have to do it in two, then somewhere between Butte and Missoula (i.e. Deer Lodge) would be about where to stop
    Last edited by CalOldBlue; 06-07-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: <re-do in a more positive vein>

Quote Originally Posted by CalOldBlue View Post
    That last leg from Rapid City to Portland is 1200 miles... may be too much for two days driving.
    (grinning here) I think that depends on the driver. My husband seems to feel we haven't done a road trip if we haven't done 600 miles a day for at least 2 days on the road! Of course, he's an ex-long-distance commercial driver, used to putting in many miles on the road. We have to practically get on our knees to beg him to stop at the rest areas, some times!

Donna

Default breaking it down

As part of your plan to visit a friend in Minneapolis, are you expecting to spend the night or were you just hoping to stop by to visit for a few hours and then continue on the road?

The one problem with Minneapolis is that it is about 700 miles from your starting point, which is really too far to do in one day, yet, if you spend the second night there, it is going to be pretty tough to get to Portland with the 3 days you've got left. As COB mentioned, to do it in 3 days, you're looking at 3 days in a row of being on the road for 600 miles which is probably more than you want to do when you are traveling with an unhappy cat.

Your first day you could likely get farther than Madison, say Wisconsin Dells which has tons of hotels or the Mauston/Tomah/Black River Falls areas which will each have a handful of lodging stops to pick from. Your second day you'd be a lot better off at least trying to make it to Albert Lea or Mankato, if not even farther to say Worthington or Sioux Falls depending upon how long you plan to stop in Minneapolis. That would set you up for a 3rd day in the Western Black Hills, say Spearfish, Deadwood, or even Gillette WY, and then 2 reasonable days onto Portland.

Ah well, at least you know what you're in for.

I've done 700 miles in a day from time to time, but never two days in a row.

Default true

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    My husband seems to feel we haven't done a road trip if we haven't done 600 miles a day for at least 2 days on the road!
    600 miles isn't an unreasonable distance for a day, especially if your husband is used to long distance driving. I don't have much doubt that you could certainly drive 600 miles every day without having any problems at all.

However, I'd say the one reason I wouldn't recommend doing that much this trip is because of the cat. In my experience, cats will basically shut down (not eat, drink, litter, etc) while in the car, and that's not really a problem for 8 hours or so, but I think its best to be off the road within 10 hours or so, and then let them get comfortable in a motel room. If you are driving for 600 miles, then you're going to need to be on the road for 10-12 hours. If you really need to make time, I might do it once, but I'd try not to do it in back to back days.