1. Default San Bernardino to Dallas

I am planning a trip with my dad to Texas this fall and would like to find some interesting stops along the way. The last time I drove to Texas it was all Interstate 10 and I could hardly tell when I was in a different state. I want to feel the cities and towns we pass through this time.

We will likely take the 40 for the major jumps from town to town, but I am open for suggestions on which towns I should loop through along the way.

Oh, and I should mention, this will likely turn into a coffee shop tour as we are always scouting out new places to dine, so any suggestions along those lines would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

James

Default Many options.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What would you consider interesting stops ? How long have you for the journey ? You will find Lots of info throughout the forums and you could look around the toolbars above at routes and attractions and use the Map centre to find attractions along your route. An obvious choice would be the South rim of the Grand canyon, perhaps the Petrified forest, Albuquerque or Cadillac ranch [Carhenge] Amarillo. Dig around a bit and you will find much more, enjoy !

I wouldn't call it a coffee shop, but the Big Texan in Amarillo is a great place to get a good steak dinner.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I wouldn't call it a coffee shop, but the Big Texan in Amarillo is a great place to get a good steak dinner.
    Thanks; I probably shouldn't have said "coffee shop" as ultimately I'd like to eat our way there. I should have said simply, hometown restaurants.

Great suggestion. I will put it on the list!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

What would you consider interesting stops ? How long have you for the journey ? You will find Lots of info throughout the forums and you could look around the toolbars above at routes and attractions and use the Map centre to find attractions along your route. An obvious choice would be the South rim of the Grand canyon, perhaps the Petrified forest, Albuquerque or Cadillac ranch [Carhenge] Amarillo. Dig around a bit and you will find much more, enjoy !
    We will likely take an extra day or two on top of the typical two-plus days it takes to get there. We like finding hidden restaurant gems as glc recommended.

I will probably check the map for some small towns along the way. Maybe even a two-lane state highway that runs about the same route as 40.

Cadillac ranch sounds intriguing. My dad does use a scooter if he has to go more than about a couple hundred yards, so the Grand Canyon may or may not be possible. I'll check on access.

Thanks for the great tips! Great idea for a forum!

My dad does use a scooter if he has to go more than about a couple hundred yards, so the Grand Canyon may or may not be possible. I'll check on access.
    You shouldn't have any problems getting access to some of the splendid rim views but you will get all the info on the National parks website. If you went in from I40 to the South kiosk you can exit from the East Kiosk along Desert view drive to US89. Right by there is the Cameron trading post that has a huge store and some good food ![At least when we were there a while back]. If you wanted a 2 laner you could head on US 160 to 163 right through Monument valley and then down past Four corners and drop back down to Albuquerque.