Prescott, Arizona, United States

Default Crossing CO Rockies ~ all high passes?

Hello, I'm looking for a little advice.

Hubs and I are leaving from northern AZ to South Denver to see our grandbaby this week. We pull a 13' trailer with our '94 GMC V-6 1/2-ton pickup. Would love to go across the Rockies (I-70) this time of year, but we usually settle on NM (I-40) and over Raton Pass (I-25) because of the rough vertical pull with the GMC on I-70.

Would love to see beauty rather than I-40 Interstate this time! Is there a way to cross the Rockies without going over such high passes as Love and Eisenhower? Grand Jctn is usually our gateway. We are willing to go out of the way to see beautiful country but stay more on a par with Raton, which we get over easily. Or am I just dreaming? After all, it is the Rockies!

Thanks for any help.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Relatively Flat Alternative

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The I-40/I-25 route is certainly your flattest and generally low level way to Denver, but there is an almost-as-good alternative the will take you by some very scenic venues and over the heart of the Rockies on very good roads. That would be to take US-89/US-160/US-163 from wherever you are in 'northern Arizona' up through Monument Valley to US-191 north along the eastern edge of Utah up to Arches National Park and beyond to pick up I-70 over the Rockies to Denver. Now I-70 reach altitudes of around 11,000 feet at both Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel, but the Interstates are built to criteria which limit grades to 6% max, which your rig should be able to handle.

Prescott, Arizona, United States

Default Thanks Buck....

Appreciate your reply. I love that route, cruising along the Colo River. We're coming from Prescott and go that way whenever possible. Pulled the little trailer up it a year ago.... was a little nail-biting to say the least, maybe because the truck is older. I don't know why I said Love Pass (I was thinking Loveland, but meant Vail). I didn't know that about the 6%, good to know.