1. Default Driving from Cincinnati to Los Angeles

I am moving from Cincinnati to LA for a, my husband and I were thinking of a nice long road trip to LA. Google maps shows 2 routes, thorough I40 and another through I70. I know that I70 seems a little bit of a longer route, but I think this is more scenic that I40, specially around this time of the year. We would be leaving sometime in the second week of June. And would be looking at 5 days of drive, max 6.
    I have read a few threads here and you guys seem like you have a lot of experience. So, road trip master, what do you suggest?
    Also, any must see places on the way would be great!

Tucson, AZ

Default Often the Case

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It is not at all unusual to have two (or more) routes between a given starting point and destination that are so close in mileage and timing, that there is virtually no difference between them. This is the case for your trip, and you should feel perfectly free to choose whichever on strikes your fancy. This is just one reason why we just shudder when people ask for the 'best route'. There is no such thing. You could make either drive comfortably in four days of solid driving, so you have a fair amount of time stopping at sights along the way. The Museum of Westward Expansion and the Arch, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Cadillac Ranch, Petroglyph National Monument, Petrified Forest National Park, and the Grand Canyon are all on or near the I-40 route wile you could include Chicago, the Oregon Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, Arches National Park, Zion National Park, and Las Vegas on an 'I-70' route. Your choice.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default looks good

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The difference between the two routes you are looking at is only 20 miles, which is basically irrelevant on a trip that's 2000 miles long. Getting stuck in a little slow traffic or even stopping at a busy gas station or restaurant could make either one longer or shorter on any given day!

Then it really just is a matter of what you want to see, and if you like I-70, then that's the route you should take. It is an excellent choice, as the route through CO and UT is one of the most scenic freeways in the world, and it provides easy access to several national parks. Of course, I-40 has some nice things too, as it follows the path of old route 66 and also goes near some national parks like the Grand Canyon.

In any case, 5-6 days is a nice amount of time for the trip that should leave you time to stop and explore a few of the great features along the way. You could make the trip comfortably in as little as 4 days, so you should do great!

4. Default

I guess I should have said that I70 seems like it might take longer, because of traffic when we hit Las Vegas or Denver. But that's just what I think, I haven't driven any of the routes before, so I could be wrong. I40, since it goes through TX, AZ and NM, seems like going through a big desert and in June I just don't feel like driving through it.
    Thanks for your replies!

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by UCF2005 View Post
    I guess I should have said that I70 seems like it might take longer, because of traffic when we hit Las Vegas or Denver.
    But that is all compensated for when you hit Utah, and drive on probably the most spectacularly scenic interestate on the continent. IMO.