1. Default First time road trip to new england in the fall!

Me and my partner are planning to visit new england in the fall, arriving in Boston at the end of september/ early october. We are planning to stay for about a month or at least until the end of the first week in november. We hope to hire a car in Boston and drive round all the states in new england. We want to experience all the festivities and scenery over the month and i would appreciate any advice you can give us including places to visit and routes that aren't in the guidebooks!! we want to see as much as possible on a budget. So far it seems that as its peak season many of the bed and breakfasts will be out of our price range, are there sufficient budget hotels or motels for us to stay in along the way.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Tucson, AZ

Default A Month in New England

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

And October at that! My how I envy you. My own time in that most lovely corner of America will be limited to a week on Cape Ann in late June, but then I poked around just about every corner of New England when I lived there during the 70's and 80's. Here are links to a few of my favorite spots, both on and off the beaten path. But a few general comments. First, Leaf Peeping Season is the absolute height of New England Tourism, so 'vacancy' and 'cheap' are not two words you should expect to see in abundance in reference to lodging. I know that it might seem to put a crimp in a "go where the mood may take me" style, but reservations will be essential, especially in the weeks right around Columbus Day, the traditional peak of fall foliage color. Start now looking for motels and doing your cost comparisons, and book a good deal when you find it. Remember that New England is small enough that if you can find a good room at a good price, you can cover an awful lot of ground just doing day trips from that one location. You might also want to look into 'vacation rentals', homes that rent by the week. although more expensive than typical motel rooms, they come with full kitchens and often laundry facilities that can help defray the cost.

Secondly, as I've said before, it really is difficult to find a non-scenic road in New England, especially in the fall. A few of my favorite 'lesser' known great routes include NH-153 between Sanbornville and North Conway, VT-14 running parallel to I-89 and then up into the Northeast Kingdom, ME-26 from Portland up into the White Mountains, US-202 around Quabbin Reservoir in central Massachusetts (and any road through the Berkshires), CT-169 in eastern Connecticut, and US-1 along the Rhode Island shore. Poke around, you'll find you're own favorites.

Melbourne, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by adrianne View Post
    ... and routes that aren't in the guidebooks!!
    They are the ones you find...

take the next turn and see what there is... go past that sign post and make another discovery.. just head for the horizon and relish in all the new sights you had not even planned on seeing.

My kind of roadtrip.

Lifey - dreaming

Tucson, AZ

Default Some Aren't Paved

Oh, and if you want some really off the beaten path roads, you'll have to leave the pavement: ME-113 between Gilead and Fryeburg over Evans Notch, and Sandwich Notch Road (NH, unnumbered) between Center Sandwich and Goose Hollow.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Scenic routes

I've found many scenic routes in New England that aren't generally listed in the "must see" guidebooks just by driving around. Sometimes, it's a state route that I've not traveled before. Other times, it's a country road named after a particular town - perhaps following an old turnpike alignment.