1. Default Planning a 3 week US road trip and no idea where to start

Hi everyone

My husband and I are from Australia. We are planning a 3 week road trip in the USA next September (2012). We have just purchased a country wide map and are now feeling completly overwhelmed.

We are reading through the forum and there seems to be so much we could be doing/seeing but we know we cant do it all.

We have been to the US a few years ago and did LA/Las Vegas/Washington DC and New York.

So far we have decided on spending a few days in Las Vegas/Grand Canyon (as we didnt get there last time due to dust storms) and a few nights at Disneyland and San Francisco.

We are in our late 20's and this is our last big holiday before we have children so we want to see as much as we can as well as have a great time.

We would love to explore the more scenic routes even if this just means stopping in a town for lunch before driving on. We both love driving so dont mind driving long distances each day especially if it meant we were stopping every few hours somewhere.

We were thinking of flying from Sydney, Australia to either Texas or LA and then flying out of LA at the end of the trip. Obviously it would be much cheaper for us to fly in and out of the same city as well as car rental.

So can anyone point us in the right direction of must see places or reccomended itineries? We are so excited and just need some help to get started. Any help is greatly appreciated

Default A Three Week Loop of the West

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you really want this trip to be about seeing as much as you comfortably can, then I'd keep it to the western part of the US and try to keep the driving portion to one week or so. That way you'll have plenty of time to explore all the places you're driving to, and not just get a glimpse as you pass by. So where can you get in a week's worth of driving from and returning to L.A.? Surprisingly quite a variety of places. I won't bore you with a lot of details, after all you have over a year to plan. but put some markers down on these locations and see what a nice 'round' trip they would make... Mojave National Preserve, Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, Mesa Verde National Park, Arches National Park, Dinosaur National Park, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Craters of the Moon National Monument, Mount Hood, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake National Park, Redwood National Park, Point Reyes National Seashore, San Francisco, Monterey, and the Pacific Coast Highway.

Not a bad little three week tour.

AZBuck

3. Default

thanks so much AZBuck we will check out all of these places tonight. This may be a silly question but the National Parks do they have cabins/hotel type accomodation or is it just camping? if so we would need to keep driving to the nearest town I think.

Thanks again

Many of the major national parks have some sort of hotel/resort/cabin options. However, they can be quite expensive and they can fill up quickly.

Your best bet for finding details is to spend a lot of time on the National Parks Website. The section for each park will have detailed information about the available lodging options.

Quote Originally Posted by mimstar84 View Post
    Hi everyone

My husband and I are from Australia. We are planning a 3 week road trip in the USA next September (2012). We have just purchased a country wide map and are now feeling completly overwhelmed.

We are reading through the forum and there seems to be so much we could be doing/seeing but we know we cant do it all.
    Here's what I do when confronted with all that - AZBuck's excellent itinerary not-with-standing. I put the map on the wall, and then, with the tiny post-it notes place them on the map, everytime I read or hear of some place which may interest me.

You have a good while to plan, so take your time. Keep collecting information and marking everything on the map, as you go. As the months go by you will see in which area most of the places you would like to visit, are. You can then get the experts here to help you fine tune the route and the trip.

I have been doing this for eighteen months for next year's trip.... so might see you on the road.

Lifey in Melbourne

Renting a car from Australia often no drop off charges between Az, NV and Ca. Maybe check out Traveljigsaw
    A popular 3 weeks roundtrip could be:
    Phoenix-Sedona-Grand Canyon-Page-Monument Valley-Moab-Torrey-Bryce-Zion-Las Vegas-Death Valley-Yosemite-San Francisco-Los Angeles. The drive between Torrey and Bryce on ut12 is one of the most scenic in the world, not to mention the drive from Death Valley, along the eastern sierras and into Yosemite via Tioga Pass.
    Can be done in reverse also.
    Yeehaw