1. Default Planning a long trip to yellowstone

Hello ,

I am planning a long trip to yellowstone & seattle from phoenix. This is my first trip. And I was wondering if someone can give me some idea about lodging. We would like to do camping as much as possible. Do we need to book the campsites in advance or can I get them when I reach there?

Trip deatails:
    Miles: 3500
    Days : 14-16 days
    Time of travel: starting Mid July 2011
    family of 3 with 5 year old kid, planning to go in my mini van.

Cities : Phoenix, Page AZ, Salt Lake city UT, Yellowstone park, Seattle WA, Lake Tahoe CA, LAS Vegas NV, Phoenix AZ

I am only planning to see Salt Lake city , Yellowstone park, Seattle and Lake Tahoe. Other cities I will only pass through.

It will be great if you can also give me more ideas about what all is there to see in Seattle & Salt Lake City.
    Thanks
    Last edited by pundit; 05-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.

As you cross the Lake at Page, you will love the view. Plan to stop at a view area or two - it's beautiful!

Salt Lake City has several things to offer, depending on your interests. You may enjoy the look around the Mormon Tabernacle, or perhaps you'd drive a little bit north to Golden Spike National Historic Site at Promontory (where the Transcontinental RR joined west to east). We found the latter, and a stop at Morton-Thiocol Co.'s outdoor exhibits of their rocketry, to be very interesting.

Seattle has a few places also, but it would be helpful if we knew what you were interested in, in order to make suggestions. My husband and I didn't spend much time in Seattle, but we enjoyed Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens southeast of it a lot more.

Donna

Default Sites, Camp and Otherwise

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Camping season in the interior northwest is extremely short, only a few months. For that reason popular locations such as Yellowstone are always booked solid, especially in July and August. If you haven't made campground reservations there yet, it is probably already too late. They do have a few campsites that are first come. first serve on a daily basis, but those ore taken early, and they might have a cancellation or two, but don't count on it. Instead, you should start looking into the five or six National Forests that surround Yellowstone and see what they have available.

Between Salt Lake City and Yellowstone, plan on taking US-89 and stopping often. While in Seattle, a ferry ride is definitely in order, even if you aren't going anywhere except 'over and back'. Seattle also has a Children's Museum, zoo, aquarium, amusement parks and a waterfront arcade. In the Lake Tahoe area, Virginia City (be sure to click "Next" about a dozen times) should delight a 5-yr old. And the drive sown US-395 to CA-58/I-40 is a scenic delight.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks Donna for the pointers, We are interested in National park and other must see places in or near seattle. I do not have much idea about the place and did not want to miss a good place.

AZbuck thanks for the great information about camping. I will try to get the reservation before hand. But I was looking at the yellowstone information and it seemed the had more walk-in sites than the reservation one. So i was hoping that walk ins will still be able to get some place.

5. Default

AZbuck thanks for the great information about camping. I will try to get the reservation before hand. But I was looking at the yellowstone information and it seemed the had more walk-in sites than the reservation one. So i was hoping that walk ins will still be able to get some place.
    I'm not sure where you were looking for walk in campsites, but there are approx 1400 reservation campsites (which doesn't include the RV only sites) vs a little more than 400 first come, first serve campsites. Not to mention that you could spend two hours traveling from one end of the park to the other try to get to one of the seven first come, first serve campgrounds and still come up empty handed. If nothing else, try make reservations for your first night so you can move early the next day to a first come, first serve campground.

You don't have to believe me, read for yourself - Campgrounds in Yellowstone National Park

Utahtea

6. Default

I had just glanced over the camp information it looked that we had more walk ins. Thanks Utahtea for clarifying. I will make reservations before going.