Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10 day road trip

Hi, I really need help on choosing a city to travel to with a few of my friends. There will be 4 or 5 of us so when it comes to splitting the hotel cost it will be cheaper. I want this road trip to be adventurous and preferably located in southern texas, new mexico,colorado or the eastern part of arizona. Money is not an issue we will be staying in a 5 star hotel and i will be using all of my priority club points to help cut the cost of the hotel. For 3 of the nights we want to experience camping. Im pretty smart with saving money. So we will have 5 coolers and 5 cases of water and lots of gatorade. My mom said she will make tons of sandwiches for the road. My other friends will be bringing snacks. Our hotel will have a stove and oven so we can make ribs and steak that we store in the coolers. We also have mashed potatoes and corn and pasta to make. Breakfast is continental. We saved a few hundred bucks on eating and drinking. I live in niagara falls canada. I will be driving a 2002 mazda mpv and i got a 250$ gas card so gas wont cost as much. It drives smooth but to double check I will go to the mechanic for him to do a check up.

Default Cart Before the Horse

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You seem to have concentrated on all the minor aspects of a RoadTrip at the expense of the most important aspects, namely where are you going to go and what are you going to do. I'm more than a bit amazed that you already know all the amenities of your hotel room when you don't even know in what direction you're going! So let's walk this back to square one and address a few issues.

Number One, of course, is where to go. Your $250 gas card will get you around 1200 miles worth of driving. That's not a lot, and means that your range is only abut 500 miles. Starting from Niagara Falls, nothing like the American Southwest is going to fit into your constraints, either cost or time. So you need to start by looking much, much closer to home. Some places you and your friends might want to look at include the Maritimes, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the Great Smoky Mountains and the Appalachians, and the western Great Lakes.

Secondly, an often overlooked aspect of RoadTripping in a group is the need for time alone. I know, I know - you're all the best of friends and nothing will come between you. Until about the third day. You are going to be crammed together in a very small space (made even smaller by all your camping gear, coolers filled with mom's sandwiches, etc., etc. You need to build a couple of days into your 10 day trip where you are each free to roam around on your own and ignore your 'friends' just to restore/maintain your sanity.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-29-2011 at 11:11 AM.

There will be 4 or 5 of us so when it comes to splitting the hotel cost it will be cheaper
    It might be cheaper with 4 than with 5 as you might start to need 2 rooms with 5 of you. [?]

4. Default

I really need help on choosing a city to travel to with a few of my friends.....I want this road trip to be adventurous and preferably located in southern texas, new mexico,colorado or the eastern part of arizona.
    Are you looking for a big major city like Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, Denver, CO, Albuquerque, NM or Phoenix, AZ? What are your interests? You said you want to go camping. Did you want a National Park with natural beauty or private campground with amenities?

Keep in mind, that southern Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are going to be HOT in the summer! Not that many major cities in Eastern Arizona.

Utahtea

Default Not so smart

Quote Originally Posted by carbone22 View Post
    Im pretty smart with saving money. So we will have 5 coolers and 5 cases of water and lots of gatorade.
    It is great to hear you are smart at managing your money, but you may not be so smart with the five coolers and five cases of water. Consider the extra weight these will add to the vehicle. Bottled water is available cheaply in every supermarket in every place you visit, and it may be smarter to buy as you need, rather than burden the vehicle and take up valuable space, (not to mention fuel consumption). Same goes for Gatorade. Don't buy these items at convenience stores, go to proper supermarkets.

Of course, tap water is free everywhere!

My mom said she will make tons of sandwiches for the road. My other friends will be bringing snacks.
    This might be fine for the first day or two, but after that, no matter how much ice you place in the cooler, it would not be safe to consider eating sandwiches, and most snacks. Food poisoning is not an experience you need on a road trip, and it is more common than you may think.

... and oven so we can make ribs and steak that we store in the coolers.
    Not unless you have a proper freezer run off the 12v outlet for the complete trip. Keeping meat (or any other protein food) in a cooler more than a day is dynamite when it comes to possible food poisoning. And yes, that is true, even if it is frozen when you start.

And I have not even mentioned the fact that you will get pretty sick of eating out of a cooler. Why not try all of this for ten days at home, before you set out.

Lifey

6. Default

Thanks for all the info everyone i havent ventured to the midwest ive seen alot of the eastern usa and buying food would be best instead of wasting space. Some hotels do allow 5 to a room so if theres 5 people going i will find a hotel that allows 5 to a room. The heat wont be an issue

7. Default

what are some attractions in the midwest or resorts me and my friends can go to

Default Attractions

"Attractions" covers a wide array of possibilities and "Midwest" covers an awful lot of real estate. It's really up to you and your friends to pick the destination of and purpose for this trip. I will say that, givenyour obvious budgetary constraints, "resorts" should not get much consideration. So what are some possible destinations in the Midwest? I'd suggest that you look at the UP of Michigan and the areas around Lake Michigan in general. If you are interested in the history of this area, particularly that of the French/Canadian fur trappers and voyageurs, look into the mid to upper Mississippi. For camping/canoeing, there's the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Voyageurs National Park. You could also concentrate on amusement parks such as Cedar Point in Sandusky (OH), Six Flags outside Chicago (IL), the water parks of Wisconsin Dells (WI), and a host of others. But as with resorts, these are not cheap.

AZBuck

9. Default

what are some attractions in the midwest or resorts me and my friends can go to
    I would think that Denver area would probably be a good fit. It's just over 1500 miles away so you're not going to reach there till late the third day. There is great camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. Since you only have 10 days, you'll be traveling for about 6 of them. Maybe one night in Denver and then 3 camping at Rocky Mountain National Park.

This round trip will be over 3,000 miles. If you get 20 MPG, then you're probably looking at gas costing anywhere from $550 to $600 depending on the price of gas.

Utahtea

10. Default

550 to 600 all together or per person and denver is a great idea