Default Big Bend Ntnl Park Trip

I'm in the San Antonio area now and I wanted to go on a trip with my brother and maybe someone else to Big Bend National Park since I've never been and it's not too far away and make a 5 day trip out of it (1 day drive out, 3 days there, 1 day drive back). But as I was doing some searching recently I found that in April they closed parts of the park because it was so dry. I'm wondering if it's a good idea now being that it is so dry and in the summer in Texas it's hot. I had planned on tent camping, but even if I do go that doesn't seem like a good idea now...

Thoughts?

Default A Delay Might Be In Order

Pretty much all of Texas has been experiencing severe to extreme drought conditions for some time now, and several areas of Big Bend National Park have been closed due to fire danger. In addition, it is 'unseasonably' hot here in the southwest desert. In Tucson we broke the 100° mark several weeks ahead of 'normal'. There will certainly be better times to see this particular corner of the country.

AZBuck

Only problem with going any other time of the year is the fact that I go to college in Waco for Fall and Spring semesters. If any other time I was open, it would be for Christmas break, and that would be too cold I'm sure. Unfortunately it's just not possible for me to go during the best two times because of school unless I were to use my Spring Break for that next year. Would it be terribly stupid for first time campers that have never been the the park before go during a summer draught? I definitely know we would need tons of water. But I'm not too knowledgeable on the camping aspect.

Is there any place(s) I could take a week road trip to round trip from San Antonio, TX that wouldn't cost much? That's kinda why I was aiming for Big Bend. I don't spend more than what gas costs to and from the park, plus park entrance and camping for the 3 days. Don't have a ton of money to play with this year, but I really want to make some type of trip. I'll be going to Enchanted Rock SP sometime as I have several times over the past couple of years, but I can drive there in a little over an hour and spend a day there fine. Never been to Big Bend and I really want to go. Can't think of any other cool places I could spend several days at around my area. All suggestions are welcome though.

Default Also Within Range, Then

If Big Bend NP is defining your range and interests for this RoadTrip, then a reasonable substitute would be the Ozarks of Northwestern Arkansas, specifically, Ozark National Forest for camping and hiking and the Buffalo National River for water activities.

AZBuck

Came across a different idea. Make it 7ish days and go to the Denver, CO area to visit my uncle and aunt for a couple days. No idea if my uncle and aunt are down for it or when I will even go yet, and I'll have to plan it. I'm thinking a two day drive up through the TX panhandle (stop in Amarillo), and then a drive back down through Carlsbad, NM seeing the caverns (and another stop before Carlsbad to be determined). Gonna be a bit more in cost than I wanted, but free lodging for 2-3 days or so could help. I just don't want to do nothing this summer and I don't want to die in the heat either. But this was all thought up maybe an hour ago, so it's all to be determined and probably changed again. :p

Default That's about normal

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
    But this was all thought up maybe an hour ago, so it's all to be determined and probably changed again. :p
    Yup!! That's how most of us go about planning our trips.... change, change and change again.

Lifey

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3nt611 View Post
    Came across a different idea. Make it 7ish days and go to the Denver, CO area to visit my uncle and aunt for a couple days. No idea if my uncle and aunt are down for it or when I will even go yet, and I'll have to plan it. I'm thinking a two day drive up through the TX panhandle (stop in Amarillo), and then a drive back down through Carlsbad, NM seeing the caverns (and another stop before Carlsbad to be determined). Gonna be a bit more in cost than I wanted, but free lodging for 2-3 days or so could help. I just don't want to do nothing this summer and I don't want to die in the heat either. But this was all thought up maybe an hour ago, so it's all to be determined and probably changed again. :p
    Excellent Idea! While in the Denver area you can go up to Rocky Mountain National Park. Carlsbad Cavern's is an excellent place to visit in the summer because the caves are ALWAYS a nice cool temp! Just don't do it over the 4th of July weekend....believe it or not, the place gets packed! Just south of the cavern's is Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

Utahtea