Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sacremento to soldatna alaska

Going on this trip in july with my son and would like to know if anyone has ever taken highway 37 in bc. Looks to be shorter way but is gas harder to get. Will be camping some along the way. So lodging is not a factor. And how long would it take to get to alaska if you slept a few hours a day. Any help would be apreciated.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

While I've not traveled that particular stretch of road, I can see that the route would be approximately 3200 miles - which is at least 5 days on the road. You mentioned sleeping a few hours a day - by "a few," what do you mean, exactly?

Default Proper rest.

I don't know the road at all, but as the main route I doubt you will have any problem finding gas. It's a little worrying as you say "Lodging is not a factor" "camping some along the way" and "if you slept a few hours a day". On a multi day trip you need proper rest to avoid driver fatigue and to keep safe, if that means setting up camp every night and breaking it down every morning, even 5 days will be pushing it. How long have you got ? Would be good to have some time spare to make it an enjoyable 'Father and son' trip rather than just a long slog on the tarmac.

Default The Milepost!

There are a few factors you have overlooked, and it is obvious you have not obtained and read The Milepost, the bible of all those taking the trek north.

Having driven to Alaska (including Soldatna) and back twice, including the route you plan on taking, there are a few things you need to take into account.

Firstly speed limits in Canada are much slower and strictly enforced, so don't plan on driving the breakneck speeds to which you may be used. Driving after sundown or before dawn is strongly discouraged and definitely extremely dangerous. Wildlife is prolific and have right of way at all time. Besides the fact that you might come of worse, would you really want to be responsible for killing wildlife, some of which is on the endangered list?

The route through Smithers and up 37 may look shorter, but don't count on it actually being quicker. The hold ups on the northern Canadian roads, including the AlCan, are often and can be long. In July road construction will be in full swing, and a 45 minute holdup waiting for the pilot car to lead traffic over kms of single lane road under construction - at walking pace - is not unknown.

On both of my trips there were also extended holdups caused by wildfires. There is no predicting what you may strike along the way.

Don't count on being able to cover 500 miles in a day, let alone 600. This is a seven day trip, without sightseeing. It is not an isolated lonely trek. All of it is single lane. Lots of it is 80 kph or less. And when the traffic up ahead is stopped to admire and photograph a bear or moose, one just waits, as there is no way to get past safely.

So make sure you pack patience!

As for fuel, you will find it is readily available at regular intervals along both routes. Other supplies are much more readily available along the AlCan than along 37, as is camping. That said, 37 is a much different road with unique attractions. Just don't count on flying over it at 100+kph.

You and your son are travelling one of the great routes ever built, drive safely and you will both be left with lifetime memories.

Lifey

5. Default

we would stop for a 5 to 6hr rest. my son and i are driving and we need to be in alaska in a weeks time to pick my wife up at the airport.visting the family there and will be there 2 weeks and head back.

You can JUST do this in a week (7 days) if you are going to Anchorage. My software says the fastest way is I-5 to Canada, then 1/97/16/37 to the Alcan.

It really needs to be said, 5 to 6 hours is not "real rest" when it comes to a roadtrip like this. You'll spend at least an hour (likely more) to decompress, and then time again to get back on the road. You'd be looking at maybe 4 hours of sleep? That's just not nearly enough, especially when talking about a challenging drive like the Alaska highway.

Plan to stop and get a full night of real sleep every night, so you aren't a danger to yourself and others. It's not an "optional" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by marwil812 View Post
    we would stop for a 5 to 6hr rest. my son and i are driving and we need to be in alaska in a weeks time to pick my wife up at the airport.visting the family there and will be there 2 weeks and head back.
    Then the only option is to leave a couple of days earlier than planned. By the time you stop, unwind, eat and get ready for bed.... and in the morning have a shower, a hearty breakfast and get on the road again, there are a few hours gone already. Just because you will be sharing the driving does not mean you won't both need a good night's sleep. It is the only way to undertake a multi day roadtrip safely.

As Michael has stated, it is not an option.

By the time you stop, unwind, eat and get ready for bed.... and in the morning have a shower, a hearty breakfast and get on the road again, there are a few hours gone already.
    Especially when having to set up and break down camp as well !!

we would stop for a 5 to 6hr rest. my son and i are driving and we need to be in alaska in a weeks time to pick my wife up at the airport.
    Use the full week and get a proper nights rest and you will be fine. To get 5-6 hours sleep for 1 night will not put you in the best of shape for next day, but to do it day after day could end disastrously.

10. Default

looking at your replys we are going to add a few days and take our time. if we look to be short to anchorage in time to pick up the wife we just pick it up. thanks for all input.