1. Default Lexington to Philadelphia

We will be on the return leg of our roadtrip first week of September & looking for some advice.
    We want to visit Gettysburg & Harpers Ferry on the way but wondered which area would be best to stay. Also, as its only 3-4 hrs from Lexington to Charleston, looking for somewhere beyond that for a night.
    We will have spent 3 days in Kentucky so nice & rested for longish drive if necessary.
    Thanks
    Bertha

Default Which

Which Lexington? There are 30 in the United States.

Which Charleston? There are 25.

Which Philadelphia? There are 14.

AZBuck

3. Default Lextington KY to Philadelphia PA

Sorry for not being clearer.
    We will be driving through West Virginia from Lexington Kentucky heading for Philadelphia PA.
    Would also like to know what the road terrain is like through West Virginia, ie any steep inclines etc.
    Bertha

My mapping software says the most efficient route would be from Lexington to Harpers Ferry, then to Gettysburg and Philadelphia.

Take I-64 to Charleston, then I-79 to Morgantown, I-68 to Hancock, I-70 to Frederick, then US-340 to Harpers Ferry. Take US-340 back to Frederick, then US-15 to Gettysburg.

Interstate highways are limited to 6% grades, so the drive will be easy even though it goes through hilly terrain. It's about 525 miles from Lexington to Frederick, and you can drive this in one long day if you want - with normal rest stops it's about 10 hours or so. If you don't make it that far, there are plenty of places to stop before you get there.

Default An Overnight Stopping Point that Suits Your Plans

This would make a very nice, relaxed, scenic, and historic two day drive. Since the places you've listed as possible stops would all be on day 2, I'd recommend getting fairly well down the road on Day 1, say somewhere in the mountains of Maryland. Now between Lexington (KY) and Cumberland (MD), you can stay entirely on the Interstate System I-64/I-79/I-68) so you don't have to worry about steep grades, sharp turns, or other unnerving aspects of 'mountain' driving. Just enjoy the views. And even this 'long' first day will be easy enough that you can afford to take a couple of very enjoyable breaks at say Carter Caves and/or a short detour north from Morgantown (WV) on US-119 to Uniontown (PA) and then southeast on US-40 to Fort Necessity and continuing on to rejoin I-68 in Maryland. That would leave you plenty of time on Day 2 to stop in Harpers Ferry and Gettysburg and still make it into Philadelphia (PA) before nightfall.

AZBuck

6. Default

Thanks.
    We have around 3/4 days to do drive, Morganstown or close too (any motel recs welcome) seems a good overnight stop, then we would head down to Harpers Ferry for lunch & a walk around, head for Gettysburg for 2 nights before Philadelphia.
    Regards
    Bertha

Morgantown has the usual selection of chain hotels that you will find anywhere. It's a big college town. Uniontown PA has a good selection too.

Allow 3.5 hours to get from either city to Harpers Ferry and 1.5 hours from there to Gettysburg.

8. Default

Thanks again GLC.
    We usual get up early & get on the road for a couple of hours, stop for breakfast & then lunch so time to Harpers Ferry looks about right. Probably leave Harpers Ferry around 4/5 for a nice evening drive to Gettysburg in time for dinner. I'll have a wee browse round the town itself & hubby thinks if weather is fine he will take a wee walk along Apalachian Way.
    Bertha

For your breakfast stop, you should probably be looking at Cumberland MD. There isn't all that much anywhere else along the I-68 corridor and your next opportunity would probably be Hagerstown.