Default Road trip Seattle to Los Angeles

We will be leaving Seattle on July3 traveling south to fly out of LAX on the 7th of July. What are some of the "must see" sites and things we should do in this amount of time? I have been to Seattle and Portland but no further south, so i have no idea of what to look for or expect.

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We really don't believe in must-see's here, because that completely depends upon you and your interests.

I will say there are 2 general tracks you can be looking at - one inland and one coastal. The Coastal One is pretty self explainitory, following the coast going through places like Redwood NP, San Francisco, Big Sur just to name a few.

Going inland opens up options like Crater Lake, Yosemite, and Sequoia NPs - again just to name a few options.

The bigger problem will be choosing what you do with the limited time you have. Its a long hard 2 day drive just sticking to the I-5 freeway for the entire thing. The coastal highway takes 2-3 times longer and you simply don't have time to do the entire thing. SF to LA is a 2 day drive itself, for example. Inland attractions also typically involve detours into mountains so you need to factor that time into your planning as well.

Once you get a better idea of what you want this trip to be, we'll be glad to offer more help.

I guess my question is which route will we have time to do and still make it to LAX to catch our plane on the morning of the 7th? Scenery is probably more of what we are looking for. That is only going to give us 4 days to get there.

That's still not something where there is a one sized fits all answer. You could do part of the coast, you could do some attractions in the mountains, you could just sprint to LA and spend your time there, or do a sprint with a detour for a day in San Francisco. Nearly all of your options involve scenery of some sort.

Once you have an idea of what things you think are most interesting, we can let you know if it will work, or ways to get most of what you want. However, the first step is still all about you. Until you figure out what it is that you want, we can't really be of much more help.