1. Default Denver to Las Vegas via Grand Canyon - 3 days

Hi! We are looking to do a road trip from Denver, through the Grand Canyon, and onto Las Vegas at the beginning of September. We only have 3 days to do this and neither of us have been to the Grand Canyon before and so to appreciate some of the sights around here is really our priority route. The plan is the leave Denver on Sat 3rd Sept, around 11am and hit Vegas on mon 5th Sept evening time (maybe around 8pm). Neither of us have road tripped before and we havent been to this area of the states so would really appreciate realistic suggestions of routes (incl roads!!) with areas that would be best to stop overnight (2nights). We would like to spend as much time in/through the Grand Canyon as possible, with possibly enough time to take a Mule ride / water raft!!??!! Although im thinking the latter is probably ambitious!! Any suggestions warmly welcomed. Many thanks for taking the time to read.

S & Z

South of England.

Default Late start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The most efficient route, which is what you will need to maximise your time at the GC would be along I70 and down to Moab on 191 to 163 through Monument valley and the 89 to 64 into the East entrance to the GC South rim along Desert view drive, before heading out the South entrance to I40. Fortunately this is also a very scenic route ! If you can't get away before 11am then Moab UT should be about as far as you will get on day 1. You can get off I70 and go through Cisco [US6] and Castle valley on [UT128 ]which is a nice little scenic detour along the river. You are still 7 hours away from GC village so you will need an early start and maybe stop for a break in Monument valley. There is the Cameron trading post near to the GC entrance with lodgings, but if you can, I would book lodgings inside the NP to maximize your time. That will give you a good few hours next day to enjoy the area before departing for Vegas. IMO, organised mule rides and water rafting could become a bind with such a short amount of time and I think you will have more than enough to enjoy without them.

3. Default

Brilliant! Thank you so much for those route details including road numbers (!) and an idea of where we need to be stopping. Will get looking into accomodation to book. I did think that organising trips would push us time wise but just good to get all round advise from someone that knows!! If anything else crops up, will be back! Thank you very much for your time

4. Default

Dave's route is right on! Keep in mind that you will be traveling over the Labor Day weekend and things are going to book up fast, so don't delay on making reservations. The Grand Canyon is going to be very crowded on a holiday weekend!

I also agree that you will have enough to do with out mule rides or white water rafting. Mule rides are an all day event and book up months in advance. I doubt you could even get in on one. I'm pretty sure that to just do a one day white water trips on the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon involves taking a helicopter ride. I think that all the others involve 3 days minimum.