Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dutchman in the USA (coast-to-coast) :-: Philadelphia to San Francisco

In september/october we'll be crossing the Atlantic for a coast to coast roadtrip.

I recently joined this forum and are overwhelmed by it's treasure of information. We will do our own research on routes, POI's and the many articles and information from other travellers, but we'd appreciate any referrals to other threads, articles and of course the advice you can give us based on the route we've roughly planned so far, based on some waypoints.

Philadelphia-Washington-Blue Ridge Parkway (VA)-Tail of the Dragon (TN)-Nashville-Memphis-New Orleans-Houston-San Antonio-Albuquerque/Phoenix-Flagstaff-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-San Francisco.

We already have some special roads included Blue Ridge PKWY (VA), Tail of the Dragon (TN/NC) and Highway 1 (CA) + 17 Mile Drive (Carmel, CA)

But we're looking for more information regarding our planned route: road suggstions, accomodations, points of interest and so on.

So please feel free to tell us everything about your state and promote your favourite POI's !!!

Meanwhile will be updating this thread to create a detailed itinerary for future reference ;-)

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

How much time do you have for this trip?

You've already come up with some great routes and stops, but If you haven't checked it out, make sure you include the RTA Map Center in your planning, which will include hundreds of POI's right along the route you create.

3. Default

Looks like you will be going right by Carlsbad Caverns National Park in southern New Mexico. Well worth a stop.

Just off I-40 in eastern Arizona is Petrified Forest & Painted Desert National Parks. I'd also make a detour from Williams, AZ up to the Grand Canyon National Park, South rim, keep heading north to Glen Canyon National Recreational Area (Lake Powell, Upper Antelope Slots Canyon), then up to Bryce Canyon National Park and back down to Zion Canyon National Park and then head to Las Vegas.

In California you might want to head over to Yosemite National Park before reaching San Francisco.

Utahtea

26 days.

I haven't used the Map creator fully yet (struggled a bit at first). But just as I got the hang of it, I discovered the thread from the german guy GalaxyRanger, who had a very similar itinerary!

Jsut read it on my mobile phone (it's 03:20h here in Holland). So I'll better sleep some before going to work LoL

Default Odds and Ends, Here and There

Welkom! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Since your trip is still a work in progress, let me just offer some random suggestions that should fit in with what you seem to be trying to do (scenic roads, national parks, major cities). Between Memphis and New Orleans consider a bit of a detour, especially if Graceland is your reason for going to Memphis. First head east on US-78 to Tupelo, MS for another Elvis shrine, his birthplace, and then take the Natchez Trace Parkway down to Natchez and tour some of the stately old plantation homes before finishing up on the Blues Highway (US-61) down through Baton Rouge to New Orleans.

Between San Antonio and Albuquerque, you should try to work in a visit to either Carlsbad Caverns National Park, White Sands National Monument, or both. And in Northern Arizona, there is far more than 'just' the Grand Canyon. Take a look at Petrified Forest National Park; Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, and Wupatki National Monuments; and a bit farther afield - Canyon de Chelly National Monument and Monument Valley Navaho Tribal Park.

AZBuck

Default Route update (2)

I'm missing the EDIT button to update my first post?

(updated route)
    Philadelphia-Washington-Blue Ridge Parkway-Tail of the Dragon-Nashville-Memphis (+US78)-Natchez Trace Parkway (+US61)-New Orleans-Houston-San Antonio-Albuquerque/Phoenix-Flagstaff-Las Vegas-Los Angeles-Pacific Coast Highway (+17 Mile road, Carmel)-San Francisco.

I'm still puzzling the route between Houston and Flagstaff:

1. San Antonio -Albuquerque? 2. Dallas-Amarillo-Albuquerque? 3. San Antonio-Carlsbad-Silver City-Petrified Forest?

Probably option 3, I guess?

Furthermore on timing (26 days):

Philadelphia - Nashville: 6 days?
    Nashville - Las Vegas: 15 days?
    Las Vegas - San Francisco: 5 days?
    Last edited by iLLiCiT; 05-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Default 'Edit' time limit and use.

Any alterations to your route/itinerary should be noted in a new post to save confusion, especially after responses have been given. There is a fixed amount of time to edit each post to correct typo's/errors, but the edit function should not be used to alter text that has already been responded to.

Also, by editing an older post it won't update the thread and therefor could go unnoticed.

Default Limited Edit - For a Reason

Users of these forums are allowed to edit their comments and questions for a short while after they post in order to allow them to make minor corrections, clarifications and the like - so that they can get more meaningful and useful answers. That ability makes no sense after they already have gotten answers, as you have. Rather, we encourage a dialogue where you respond to the answers you got. Otherwise you force everyone who has responded to your original question to either re-edit their answers or look foolish.

As I've already indicated, I would suggest going from Houston to Carlsbad, White Sands, Petrified Forest and then Flagstaff. I think that's a much more interesting route than the others and you have the time for it. On the other hand, how much time you spend in individual cities is entirely up to you and your preferences.

AZBuck

Default That's intentional

I'm missing the EDIT button to update my first post?
    You're not missing the edit button - it's gone for a reason. You can only edit your post for a couple hours after making it, in case you make an error or minor mistake that you want to correct.

However, it is extremely poor form to edit a post after you've gotten help and advice. Making a change means the following posts no longer make sense - which means that people reading your thread can't understand what is going on. It is also unhelpful for you, because most people are not going to reread a post they've already responded to.

If you are making any changes and adjustments to your plans, simply say so as part of the conversation. The more people know about your trip - and how it has evolved during the planning process - the more people will be able to help.

Default LoL

Thanx for your replies. Do all moderators start at the same time in the same order?

So the time planning between these three stages of my trip are realistic and doable.
    Good to know that.