1. Default New at Road Trips and I need help

After 32 years of marriage my husband and i have decided that we are going to see more of the United States, starting with the west. We both have lived in Texas all our lives and neither have been to California and many of the states in between. We will have 15 days for our trip and i don't want to take on too much or over plan for our first trip.

We were hoping to drive from Texas to New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and back to Texas.

I am afraid that we are trying to see too much in that time. Any Advice?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Alice

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alleybob View Post
    After 32 years of marriage my husband and i have decided that we are going to see more of the United States, starting with the west. We both have lived in Texas all our lives and neither have been to California and many of the states in between. We will have 15 days for our trip and i don't want to take on too much or over plan for our first trip.

We were hoping to drive from Texas to New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and back to Texas.

I am afraid that we are trying to see too much in that time. Any Advice?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Alice
    Hi alleybob,

In a word, YES, you are trying to see to much in that time.

I plugged in major points of interest in those states and you're looking at over 5000 miles give or take. You are looking at least 7 days of driving 12 hours a day to cover that much area. That only gives you 8 days to stop and smell the roses. I guess my main worry is that you've never done anything like this and if you attempt this kind of trip you probably never will do it again. I would highly recommend cutting back drastically.

What are you interested seeing the most? Cities, beautiful scenery, national parks? Once we know your interest we can help you plan a great trip.

Think about what kind of trip you want. Do you just want to pass by and see the states or do you want to stop and do things?

Utahtea

3. Default

Thanks for the advice. I really thought it was just too much. I really don't look forward to driving more than 3-4 hours a day (on most days) and i do want to see the sights along the way.

More than seeing "attractions and cities" I really want to see the scenery and get a feel for local culture.

I will post more when we decide on our routes.

Thanks again

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Have a look around the forums and roadtrip planning pages above and you will find a lot of useful info on routes attractions, road tripping techniques and there is also the Map centre.

I totally agree with U-tea, it's a lot to take in and driving 4 hours a day would require 20 days to complete. By the time you have added on miles for detours into City's and NP's etc you will be looking at closer to 10 days of driving for 9/10 hours a day.

It is always a temptation to try and see as much as possible on your first major roadtrip and the end result is you see very little and end up burnt out and frustrated. I would narrow your options by quite a bit and perhaps leave Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming for another trip. If you cut back you will have more fun and Yes, you have a much greater chance of wanting to do another trip and not hating the road.

Enjoy the planning !

5. Default

Well, you are in for a treat if you want to see scenery in the West. If you want to see different kind of areas, I'd suggest New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. These would be the closest states and would cut down on the driving. Heck, depending on where in Texas you are, it could take a day and a half to just cross the state coming and going....been there and done that when I was a kid growing up in Texas! ;)

Places you might look into, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Historic Route 66, Petrified Forest & Painted Desert National Parks, Grand Canyon National Park, Lake Powell (Glen Canyon National Recreational Area), Zion National Park, Bryce National Park, Scenic Highway 12, Capitol Reef National Park, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, the Million Dollar Highway Hwy 550 between Montrose and Durango and Mesa Verde National Park or maybe even Rocky Mountain National Park. So much to see...so little time ;)

Utahtea