myspectacularjourney Guest

Default A SPECTACTULAR JOURNEY

Hi there name is Jay,

My story is a long one but i include a synopsis for review here!

actaully no i have a better idea, if you are dedicated to go on a crazy trip like this or join in along the way then you msut earn it first, to do so readd my story at the following link, if after you read it you want to say hi or know someone who would love this trip then let me know

This will surely be interesting to say the least

happy trails!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-04-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: New Members May Not Post Off-Site Links

Default rules are rules

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As part of a forum policy, we do not allow new members to post off site links. (This policy is spelled out quite clearly as part of the process to sign up for the forum)

We'd love to hear about your plans, but you're going to have to share some of the details here.

well if it has to b that way ill post when i can REWRITE the entire story, im not sure i should have joined here, i saw other threads where there were offsite links?

alas when i retype evrything ill be back!

Posting links something that has to be earned here. Again, that is laid out as part of the process for joining this forum.

The exact text that you agreed to when you signed up for this forum, and is also included as a reminder in the welcome/confirmation email:
    New members are not allowed to post external links in their posts, even if these are links to their own websites. Being able to post external links is an earned right on the Great American RoadTrip Forum and is generally allowed after a member has posted more than 10 posts. There are exceptions, if the link is deemed to be an exceptionally good resource for the membership. If you have any questions about constitutes "exceptional value" please contact any one of the Moderators.
    The reason is really quite simple, first it is done to stop spammers who want to use this forum for advertising, the other is that it is simply rude to come to this community and then ask people who want to know more about your plan to leave this site if they want any real information.

Default We're Different

Quote Originally Posted by myspectacularjourney
    i saw other threads where there were offsite links?
    Not by first time posters and not to self promotional or advetising sites. As Michael pointed out, the activity you engaged in is expressly forbidden by the terms of usage you agreed to in signing up. They are what make this site so useful to so many people and prevent it from becoming just another self-aggrandizing, spam-filled, "social" network site.

AZBuck

Default A SPECTACTULAR JOURNEY

Preface, i have seen all sorts of road trip stories on this forum, but NO ONE will have the ACCESS we will, so read on!)

SEEKING COMPANION FOR ONE OF A KIND ROAD TRIP

My name is Jason, I am a professional Photographer that has been hired by a third party firm that contracts with National Geographic, i will be leading a team over the next year in a trip that will touch EVERY state in the USA, our assignment is to photograph and videotape for a series that will most likely be put together at a later date, i have heard rumours that it will be called something to the effect of " America The Beautiful" however that is not set in stone.

I have been assigned to capture the Panorama photos that will be used in the book portion, and a video crew will handle the "docu" side of things. I have had many works published and am quite successful as a modeling industry photographer as well as two studios one in Bethel Maine and one in Key West FLorida,

I will be leaving maine once the RV has been "technofied" and certified to travel, i will be travelling mostly alone for the trip but will meet the film crews along the way and they will use the RV as a mobile base, this is why there is so much need for all the technology onboard i spoke about.I do plan on bringing a "navigator" of the female persasion along however of the applications i have received i am not thrilled with the selection, if you know anyone who wants to travel with me, and can cook and clean and tow their own weight on this trip, tell em to give me a shout!
    A LITTLE MORE ABOUT THAT LAST STATEMENT: While ideally I am looking for someone who can cook, clean and help out with the photography aspect I realize im not trying to recruit a slave, the perfect person for this would be someone (youngerish) 21-30 that has no real commitments, single (to avoid drama not looking for a hookup here) and can travel, if they have a separate income or know how to make money on the go (ebay store owner or craftsman) great! Our trip will be long and will not always be easy, lord knows the preparation for this trip has been exhausting. We will be travelling in a modified 1979 Champion Motorhome which has running water, stove ac, heat, and a bit of space to move around (but not a ton) we will be seeing sites most will only dream of seeing in their lifetime, if you can read a map great, gps will most likely be on hand but no guarantees,
    I don’t really know the real itinerary as they are still sending me bits and pieces every day, nor do I have a fixed departure date yet, but it will be coming up, I can pick the right person up in ANY state and will galdy return them to the stae when the trip is over, or they can come back to the keys with me.
    I hope this is just a little bit more then the basic intro, and maybe (im not counting on this) just maybe ill find the perfect person for this
    The rest of this is techno babble feel free to read it tho

I have been investigating the options for mobile satellite and was surprised and chagrined at the cost and the hassle i would encounter, this has now lead me back to the "wifi mobile cell" market for exploration, to give an idea of what the rv would cost one company qouted me 2400.00 a MONTH for the dish rental BEFORE THE BANDWITH, i see why these companys are not in high demand, another company offered me a auto aimer dish for 11,000.00 (which is more then my stipend for this trip)

So you see i am going to see the country and wont see the inside of a hotel room, the parks services and various towns and states have been sending media passes, press parking kits, free passes to events for three weeks now, and every day another state sends more information.

Aside from the techo help i require i would also like to get info from you people as to what is worth putting in this book, sure there are the staples everyone knows about, but im hoping for some inside tips on some gems off the path you all wouldnt mind sharing, perhaps a good waterfall, a sunset view, a great skyline shot, things like that, after all you are the ones out there!

As for mobile internet here is the proposed setup,

Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (Phone communications)
    Virgin Mobile Ovation USB Modem
    Cradlepoint Router (ST 35?)
    CISCO Wireless router with lan ports
    Workstations WIRED
    Laptops

While i dont know if we will be allowed to share the wifi coming from the RV per the guidelines of our assignment with the current setup we could theoretically allow 64 devices to connect within a 1000 feet of the rv when we park at a location (so if you see us we might have a spot for you) especially with the gain antennas installed

I picked virgin mobile because they are prepaid, decent phones, and they use sprints 4G, while maybe thats not the best network it comes heavily reccomended in the research, not just in metro areas now either,

this setup will allow the video crew and myself to work and get things done productively

I thank you all for your time and feel free to respond or send an email to me concerning "secret locations"

If you wish to be interviewed by the video crew when we arrive at locations this coming year please let me know as well, we would love to hear your story maybe throw in a "vandweller" sideline too!

OH for those who were wondering how we are driving an RV across the ocean to capture Hawaii we got that covered, when i reach fairbanks AK i will be flown t o HI for two weeks to rest up from the trip, ill capture my HI photos while i am there, then ill go back to fairbanks and drive to the keys where the RV will be stripped of its tires and put on blocks by my house, lol

What an adventure and as soon as it starts there will be a website for all to follow along,

Jay

Default One more bump...Very short membership

Jay,

Sounds like a great adventure. Welcome to the Forum...

Bumping is not appreciated here. One more and your membership herein will be ended.

Mark

Default An entire industry exists

I've been producing mobile marketing/production campaigns for about 20 years. You'll find as you get out there that an entire industry has been developed over the last 2-3 decades with all sorts of mobile production set-ups for producing multimedia production units.

You'll only need to reinvent the wheel to the extent you really want to. In fact, the best place to equipment a mobile production rig are the NAB shows. I go just every year to see what the latest and best gear is for mobile broadcast production studios.

The oddest part of your set-up is using a RV that is 30+ years old. I can't really imagine doing that. If it were me -- I go to the one of the custom vehicle shops and a current state of the art production vehicle built. Vintage is nice -- I guess in a quaint sort of way -- but you'll be spending a huge % of the trip getting the vehicle repaired.

Mark

this entire topic is in the wrong forum hope i fixed it by moving it elsewhere lol, as for the broadcast industry shows i was in radio for ten years i stay far away from that stuff now,

the RV is sound, stronger then most new vehicles on the road,

Quote Originally Posted by myspectacularjourney View Post
    this entire topic is in the wrong forum hope i fixed it by moving it elsewhere lol,
    I'm not sure why you think "share the gas" is the wrong forum when you are specifically looking for a companion, but I will tell you that creating multiple threads and making duplicate posts across the different forum sections is extremely rude behavior that we do not appreciate.