1. Default MN to FL - would like to avoid steep inclines

My brother will be making this trip in a couple months with an overloaded Toyota towing at max capacity. I was hoping for a Google maps like solution that would allow him to select a maximum grade incline but so far no luck. On the bright side I did stumble across this forum which seems to have similar posts.

The "hills" of Tennessee will most likely be the worst section I'm guessing. He is okay with adding a decent chunk of time to avoid wrecking his transmission. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

Welcome!

If 350 miles and over 6 hours more is acceptable, take I-55 to I-12 to I-10. However, Interstate highways are built to standards, which include maximum gradient.

If you've got an "overloaded" car and you're going to be towing at max capacity, any route is going to be putting severe damage on your car. Avoiding mountains may help in one regard, but adding additional miles and time on the road will not be good for the car's life either.

I'll simply say, Towing at or near capacity if you are moving stuff across town is one thing, but I certainly wouldn't do it on a trip that covers half the continent. Rent a truck, tow the car, and you could very easily end up saving yourself quite a bit of money in the long run.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-22-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Default Not safe either

If you've got an "overloaded" car and you're going to be towing at max capacity, any route is going to be putting severe damage on your car.
    Not to mention the considerable compromise on safety. It would be extremely difficult to maintain control in case of emergency.

As Michael suggested, rent a truck. It will be a worthwhile investment.

Lifey

5. Default

I agree that it might be safer to try to rent a truck, but if you're still looking for an easier route you could take a detour and go through Memphis instead of going through Nashville and Chattanooga. You would be driving through Mississippi and Alabama instead. I've taken that route before, and it was pretty easy. Whatever way you go, make sure you avoid the Land Between The Lakes area in western Kentucky. It includes two fairly long, fairly tall, and extremely narrow bridges that might aren't too fun to take anyway, let alone when you have to be cautious about your car.

The Memphis route is the one that GLC Suggested earlier.

Considering the situation, I'd agree that you really wouldn't want to start taking any major detours off the interstates. However, I've visited LBL several times and while there are obviously a few bridges in the area, I can't think of any that stand out in my mind as being extremely narrow.

It would involve getting off the Interstates, but you could cut 150 miles off my recommended route by taking US-78 out of Memphis to Birmingham, then I-65 to Montgomery, then US-231 to I-10.

8. Default

Thank you all for your advice - it is much appreciated. I will pass it on to my brother along with possible sending several skids worth of heavy items via LTL to avoid damaging his vehicle and or safety.

Cheers and happy travels!