Default Top Secret Hotels vs. Priceline & Hotwire

Travelocity is now offering their own alternative to Hotwire and Priceline, selling rooms at a discount by not revealing the name of the hotel until after you've made your purchase. It's not exactly new, as they first launched it about a year ago in several major cities, but they have been expanding and refining the program so it is now available is most areas.

The service is more similar to Hotwire, as you are given a price, location, and star level to pick from before you purchase, rather than "bid" as Priceline offers.

The big advantage I've found so far is that Travelocity seems to charge significantly less for for Service Charges. For example, I found both Travelocity and Hotwire offering a hotel in the same area for $29. Taxes and Fees on Travelocity added $4 to the total, Hotwire added $10, and A Priceline bid of $29 added more than $11 in taxes and fees.

The biggest downside I've found is that Travelocity does seem to "overrate" hotels compared to the other service. A few hotels I've booked via Priceline as 1 star hotel, have both been ranked as 2 star by Travelocity. If you are looking for quality, the other services may be a better choice, and I still comparison shop between all three, but when looking for the best possible price, Travelocity's Top Secret is certainly one to check out.

Default If you value $$-saved as much as risk...

That seems a bit too adventurous to me. I'd rather find a place on the fly --but the field review is really helpful -- so thanks for sharing it here!

Mark

Another thought.....roomsaver.com and hotelcoupons.com have some good deals online. These are the online versions of the green booklets and the yellow booklets that one picks up at restaurants, rest areas, hotels, and state visitor centers.

We usually pick up hotels on the fly, too, except when going to a heavily visited area such as Gettysburg or Dayton in the middle of the summer. It's part of the adventure.

Donna

Hmm...guess we can only edit within a certain period of time?

I found another online coupon guide for hotels

Of course RoadTrip America (in association with Priceline) has hotels on this website too. All resources should be considered.

Donna
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-09-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: link format

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Hmm...guess we can only edit within a certain period of time?
    Yes, it's a limited time... About ten hours for you at this point. After that a Moderator can always make an edit. Just have to ask one of us. Making a new post is preferable to editing an old one!

Default State and City or along a route?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I found another online coupon guide for hotels.
    Are there any of these online sites which do not require you to put in a state and city. That really irks me. I never know in which city (or state) I will be.

When I pick up one of those booklets on the road, it shows along the route, where places are, and not necessarily in any city. Can one see them that way online?

When I am going from A to B, and I get to, let's say, A + 3/4, I like to know what there is between where I am, and B, rather than have to look at each place in that last quarter. (Does that make sense?)

Lifey

Default What are you asking here

Lifey, These are search programs, if you don't have some kind of parameter, or some way of narrowing the results you'd get a list with literally hundreds of thousands of places? How would that be helpful to you?
    Are there any of these online sites which do not require you to put in a state and city. That really irks me. I never know in which city (or state) I will be.
    How could this be possible? How could you take a road trip trip and not know the state you're in on any given day? I'm truly at a loss here...What are you referring to?
    When I am going from A to B, and I get to, let's say, A + 3/4, I like to know what there is between where I am, and B, rather than have to look at each place in that last quarter.
    I'm afraid you'll have to hire the programmers at RTA, because we do that -- But I don't know of any other planning site that can offer that.

Mark

Default Tried to clarify, but am afraid, without success.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    How could this be possible? How could you take a road trip trip and not know the state you're in on any given day? I'm truly at a loss here...What are you referring to?
    I'm not terribly good at explaining myself, that is clear.

A hypothetical:

Imagine it is 3pm and I am in the vicinity of Jim Thorpe PA, stopped for a cuppa. (I tried to look for another example, but that will take too long.) I have not decided at this point whether to go for another two three or four hours. Heading for Boston, but of course, not necessarily the direct route, just which ever route fancies me at the time I am on the road. Not looking to get there the fastest or most efficient way. Now, I think I might like to take a motel tonight, so I get out all the little books I have collected, northeastern corner of PA and the abutting NJ and NY. The accommodation is mostly along the interestates, but not always. I look in the complete arc from I-80 to I-81, and all roads in between. What is there in two or three or four hours from 'now'. That could mean I will be in either PA, NJ or NY, depending on which way I choose to go or how much longer I choose to drive. Or I might stumble upon something which holds my interest and impedes my progress.

But all that does not sound any clearer than my first query, so maybe the answer is 'No', after all.

Technologically challenged!!

Lifey

Default That's exactly what our programming does

By now I'm sure you've looked at the "Circles" on the RTA Mapping program? If not, that exactly how this program works. You establish the center of the circle and then the program shows you what lays in a specified distance from that point. The same thing works for any of the "search along a route" options. They are all circles from a given point ANYWHERE ALONG THE ROUTE and member specifies the distance from the route -- from 1 mile to 100 miles.

Now, we've not added many lodging option to the mix yet, but if you look at any of the RAs on the map and click search for motels -- the program looks at 100 mile radius and chooses the closest city/town where we have motels listed and then lists the closest. So you could use that system (if you're looking in area where we published a few RAs.) Eventually we'll probably add the capability for searching for any of our member motels/hotels along the route and then you're request can be 100% met.

Mark

Well, I have played with it Mark, but maybe it will make more sense when I am actually on the road. Right now, it is all academic. Can't wait for March to come.