1. Default Route help: Houston, TX to NE Nevada (Elko, NV)

Hello everyone,
    I'm hoping to get some feedback for the best way to make this drive in a few weeks. I have 3 days to make the drive, leaving from College Station, TX (about 90 miles NE of Houston) and heading to Elko, NV.
    AAA said to go up I-35 to I-135 to I-70 to I-25 to I-80 - basically all interstate... straight north and then west.
    Other sources suggest US-287 to I-80, I-40 to US-491 heading up to SLC then over I-80, or a few other variations.
    I will be driving by myself and am not too familiar with this part of the country.
    Any suggestions for routes or nightly stopping points would be greatly appreciated!

Joplin MO

If you only have 3 days, I'd suggest a modification to all of that. This is a FULL 3 days drive and you don't want to be on mountain 2 lane roads if you can help it.

Take I-35W through Fort Worth and take US-287 to Amarillo. Spend the night there.

Take 287 to Dumas, then the combination of 87/385/64 to Raton and take I-25 to I-80. Spend the night in Cheyenne, Laramie, or Rawlins.

This cuts more than 100 miles off the AAA route.