1. Default Ideas for RT from Chicago to Denver area

Planning to take two weeks in early July to check out some schools in Colorado. Planning to go through SD (Rushmore, Bear Country) on the way out there. Willing to go as far as the Tetons and back through CO. Also, willing to drive for lengthier periods through the 'boring' areas, if it'll get us to something worthwhile. Anything worth stopping for if we come back through KS, OK, NE or MO? Open to suggestions for the ride out as well. Thanks!

Welcome!

Oh my - the mods are going to get on your case for using the word "boring" here!

Anyway - how many days do you have to get out there, and how many days to get back? That's going to dictate exactly how far afield you can roam and how many attractions you can visit.

Default A state of mind

Quote Originally Posted by mama_fred View Post
    Also, willing to drive for lengthier periods through the 'boring' areas, if it'll get us to something worthwhile.
    Before we can help you in anyway, we need to know just which areas you think are worthwhile. Because frankly, I am yet to drive through anywhere, which is not worthwhile.

Every mile on the road has something to offer, to think about. The wide open spaces in MT is home to folk dedicating their lives to fill the supermarket shelves where you shop. The waving corn and brilliant sunflowers, likewise. Just as the massive windfarms are testimony to the scientists who developed windpower, and the surface on which you drive is the result of backbreaking labour decades ago. I could go on, but you get the picture. 'Worthwhile' and 'boring' are states of mind, not places.

Lifey

4. Default

I'll probably get banned for this ;) ....but I can kind of understand the point mama_fred has made. When we traveled I-80 & I-74 from the West Coast to the East Coast there were only so many days of just corn stalks and soybeans a person can endure and 5 days was my limit! LOL (We travel slower in an RV)

While in the Mt. Rushmore area also check out Badlands National Park. The Tetons are going to add about 600 miles & at least two days of driving. If you go, make it up to Yellowstone too. It could be some of the most scenic driving but that's a lot of miles considering you will already be doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000+.

Colorado has a lot to offer in the way of places to visit. Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado National Monument, Black Canyon of the Gunnision National Park, the Million Dollar Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango, Mesa Verde National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Monument, Pikes Peak.

IMHO, Interstate 40 has more diversity of scenery that say Interstate 70. If you go down to I-40 you can follow the Old Route 66 back to Chicago which is pretty interesting. I haven't done the whole route yet.

It might help us to know where in Colorado you are visiting colleges and how many days you are going to plan on visiting them.

Utahtea

5. Default Thanks and apologies!

Apologies, but boring is relative to the mind of a soon-to-be 16 year old, who is dreading driving 1:1 with Mom. :) Wish we could tap into an RV, but gas would kill my budget. Leaving super early 7/2 and returning 7/16.

As of this time, I am going to target a couple days in SD, checking out the fireworks at Mt Rushmore, Bear Country and anything else we find intriguing. Then head to directly to CO based on scheduled visits to CSU (Ft Collins), CCC (Lakewood) and CU (Boulder). I anticipate being in CO about 5-6 days. Then heading back.

My son does not care for sports, rock climbing and the like. We've had several bad experiences tent camping, so that's not an option. He's pretty laid back, so I like the idea of Rte 66. Appreciate any other ideas! :)

Default Not this year

Quote Originally Posted by mama_fred View Post
    As of this time, I am going to target a couple days in SD, checking out the fireworks at Mt Rushmore.
    Sorry to tell you but you won't be seeing any fireworks at Mt. Rushmore this year. Several months ago, they made the decision to cancel the 2011 Fourth of July fireworks show because of the extreme fire danger.

The problem is a Pine Beetle that is destroying a large portion of the forest in the Black Hills. With all the dead trees, the chance of fireworks sparking a major wildfire was just too great.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-18-2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Added Link

7. Default

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I was in the process of checking out weather, flooding, etc. Never thought of that! Huge help! That will make a difference in the timing now.

8. Default

Apologies, but boring is relative to the mind of a soon-to-be 16 year old, who is dreading driving 1:1 with Mom. :)
    Have him take some books to read.

9. Default

Already have that covered. :)

Default Team work.

Apologies, but boring is relative to the mind of a soon-to-be 16 year old, who is dreading driving 1:1 with Mom.
    My son does not care for sports, rock climbing and the like. We've had several bad experiences tent camping, so that's not an option. He's pretty laid back, so I like the idea of Rte 66.
    Ok, so we know what he is not into. My advice would be to ask him some of these questions and sit down together with a good map, do a little research and get his input on the planning. If he has a vested interest in where he is going, what to do and is map reading on routes he helped create and reading journey notes along the way etc, the whole thing will become a lot more enjoyable for you both. It might take a bit of persuading to get him started, but I'm fairly sure that once he starts to get into it, and starts to feel part of the trip, he will enjoy it.