Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default need a few ideas.

my friends and i are planning on going road trippin this summer and we are mulling over some possible routes. we are thinkin 4 or 5 cities in 10ish days, each city in a diffrent state. we live in chattanooga TN. also no more than 8 hours per driving session. our first plan was chatt to st louis, STL to lincoln nebraska, lincoln to souix falls, then off to millwauke before a 1 nighter in louisville and our grand return to chattanooga. all in all an exciting trip. we dont really need the bright lights and big cities most would seek on a trip, so we are open to any ideas.
    I personally like to plan trips so i thought some of my fellow trippers would like to help me plan one. thanks for the help, and good trippin!

More Than a Few
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Glad to see that you prefer to plan your own RoadTrips and that you realize that any routing is just one of many possible for any excursion. For more ideas of places to visit in all 50 states than you can possibly manage, this is a pretty good place to start.

AZBuck

Default an interesting list

Can I ask why you chose this list of cities? They are well spaced, making for good drives between each, and you certainly don't need to visit the largest cities to have a good time, but it is a loop that's a little different.

And just to make sure I'm clear, interesting and different is not at all a bad thing, and as we often say here, the ability to make your own list is exactly why roadtrips are so fun. But knowing how you came up with this list and why you chose those spots could provide more help and ideas for other things that might interest you.

4. Default

Hey midwest mike! We are very open to anything really. We enjoy baseball so thats a plus but not a must. We are each kind of historiphiles so some meaty and juicy historical sights and museums to explore would choice.

Mostly what we are looking for is an experience. Not the experience of a broadway show or seeing the grand canyon or any other specificly tourists stuff. The experience we want is more intangable. An experience deeply rooted in the people of the land we visit. I dont want to experience new folkways or customs exactly, but i want to see the hands that molded america. the hands that tilled the fields of the old west. the hands of the yeomans who settled the wilderness trying to find their own slice of jeffersonian and jacksonian america. I want to experience life in the work boots of those who fought in the civil war and fought in the indian wars, using blood and hot steel to to drive a stake through americas heartland, straight to the golden shores of the pacific and the golden riches in california. Thats what i want, im open to ideas, good luck and good trippin!!!

Wow!!

You will have a great trip, and I am sure you will find all that. I will leave it up to others to be more specific, but just wanted to say what a great idea and attitude to have towards a road trip.

Lifey

Default love it

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I love the concept.

I think the single best thing you could do then, is spend the majority of your trip traversing 2 lane highways. That's really the best way to see the small towns of middle america, and you'll have plenty of places you could stop and meet people along the way.

What I would say with that, however, is that you may have to scale down your distances. For example, St. Louis to Lincoln or Sioux Falls to Milwaukee are perfectly good drives for a day, if you are sticking to interstates. However, 500 miles is a bit much for a day on 2 lane roads. In fact, I'd consider not really planning your destinations. Perhaps on the first day, have a goal of making it to St. Louis, but then just see where the day takes you.

As far as specific stops, the one place I think you'd really enjoy is Old World Wisconsin, not far from Milwaukee, which features dozens of original buildings brought from all over the state to showcase how various immigrant groups lived as they settled in the Wisconsin. If you go on weekends, they'll have live demonstrations that are very authentic and they even have 1800's style base ball games (and yes, that is ment to be 2 words).

For baseball, St. Louis has a beautiful new park, or if you go to Miller Park in Milwaukee make sure you go a couple hours before the game starts so you can take part in the massive tailgate parties in the parking lots. I'd also be spending some time looking at minor league baseball. There's not a lot of options in your Missouri/Nebraska/South Dakota legs (Omaha has a AAA team, and there is an independent league that has some games), but I think if you looked at your options in the midwest leagues, you'd enjoy the up close experience of a game at the Class A level.

Speaking of Midwest League class A baseball, my favorite cities in that league for seeing a game in an old-fashioned stadium with a small-town atmosphere are Beloit WI, Clinton IA, and Burlington IA. It's a bigger town, but the stadium in Davenport IA has been recently renovated, and the view from the stands behind 3rd base is one of the greatest scenes in baseball:

http://travisrmartin.com/wordpress/w...009/06/A14.JPG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickmaninov/3046752505/

Clinton is my favorite park in the Midwest League, a classic 1930's WPA ballpark with a very intimate atmosphere.

Burlington isn't a favorite of mine, just because everything is too closed in.

I'm a bit biased with Beloit, since I'm a season ticket holder, but it certainly has a small town atmosphere where you can go an just pick up a conversation. The downside is that it is a basically a city park slightly modified for hosting minor league ball and almost doesn't feel like you are watching professionals. It is one of the only parks left in the minors where the players actually have to exit out through the concourse to go back from the dugout to the locker rooms!

Quad Cities is certainly a beautiful park but does provide a bigger atmopshere than those smaller towns. Peoria, Cedar Rapids, and Appleton (Wisconsin) also have parks that are similar in size and feel to QC where you can have a good time.

Have you been to Burlington since they renovated the stadium? It's a lot nicer than it was without becoming sterile.

10. Default

thanks for all the meaty feedback. love to hear that im not the only one with a love for americas breadbassket, no matter how dated the conotation to the area's importance in the agricultural subsistence of our country may be. The midwest and old west is where one might argue that the american dream started. Manifest destiny was the impetus for the american individualism and american exceptionalism which define the "American Dream". I want to get right in the face of the midwest and scream gidy praise for the farmers and adventurers of the past who were the backbone of our 20th century proxy empire. They defined the spirit of america to ourselves and the world and i want to see their land, life, and culture. You all helped imensly and gave me the confidence and spirt to pack my bags up, tell my mother that i love her ,possibly for the last time, to tell my father im sorry for my wanderlust, and ride into a land which made me who i am.