1. Default St. Louis to Denver via Oklahoma city

I am planning a motorcycle trip from St. Louis (Festus, MO actually) To Denver with a stop in Oklahoma City. I would rather not take the interstate straight from St. Louis to OK city. The return trip from Denver maybe loop though south Dakota (to avoid the Kansas flats) . Any suggestions on route or stops along the way would be helpful.

Tucson, AZ

Default Alternatives

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

If you want to have a bit of a navigational adventure on your ride down to Oklahoma City, you can try to follow the bits and pieces of the defunct and largely unmarked former Route 66. Or if you'd rather just follow a handful of route numbers while still getting some good scenery through the Ozarks, try first heading south on MO-21to Bismark and then take MO-32 west. Dogleg on US-63/US-60 into Oklahoma and pick up OK-66 to OKC. There are, of course, other options and the route you finally choose will dictate exactly where you stop, but finding great places to take a break simply isn't that hard.

Avoiding the Interstates and finding great sc3enery is even easier on the OKC-Denver leg. You'll basically follow US-270/US-412/US-287 and there are parks, grasslands and wildlife refuges spotted all along that route. Going all the ay up to South Dakota to avoid Kansas is a bit much, I would think. I've actually enjoyed my drives across Kansas on some of the 'old' US highways such as US-54. But a good compromise might be to take US-30 along the Platte River through Nebraska. That follows the route of the old Oregon Trail and is also \replete with historic sites, scenic venues and recreation area.