1. Default SF - yosemite - sequoia/ kings canyon - lv

Our trip started from LV and we are currentyl in CA. Well be driving to SF this weekend and after a few days make our way back to LV via Yosemite.
    Im not sure if i want pass Sequoia / kings canyon on our way. Will i be missing out on a lot ?
    Or is Sequoia the best point to break the drive from Yosemite to LV ?
    Also, i drive a V8 guzzler ( toyota sequoia ), will there be enough gas stations to fill up before and after i get to Yosemite?

Thanks in advance. Am just a foreiger ( with a little apprehensions :> )enjoying your beautiful country.

Default Shame not to.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You will have to head around the Sierra Nevada as the mountain pass from Yosemite heading East known as the Tioga pass [CA120] is still closed due to winter snow accumulation. In other words if you head South [and not up to Tahoe] you will be going past Sequoia NP and with a night to stop over, well it would be a shame not to ! ;-)

You can fill with gas on the way into the park [Groveland on CA120] and you will be fine. If you can make it to Oakhurst when [if] leaving to the South it will most likely be cheaper than nearby towns.

3. Default

Adding Sequoia National Park will add at least 100 miles to your route. Kings Canyon is a smaller version of Yosemite and the road to the most of it is still closed right now. You can also see some of the Giant Sequoia's in Yosemite if you decide to skip Sequoia. There is road construction going on in Sequoia and you could run into delays. Road Conditions

Gas up in Tracy, Manteca or Oakdale on your way from San Francisco to Yosemite to take advantage of the cheaper prices and then it's only about 230 miles though Yosemite to Fresno on Hwy99. If you miss those cities, there is gas in Big Oak Flats and Groveland on Hwy 120 There are plenty of other places to get gas, but the higher you get into the mountains, the higher the price of gas gets...and it's high enough as it is! There are no gas stations in Yosemite Valley but there is gas at Wawona...at $4.95 per gallon...OUCH!

You can find gas prices here at MSN Gas

Utahtea

4. Default

Thanks Utahtea , SD

Just to make sure i got what your are saying, I should try at least to drive through Kings Canyon and not skip it. Am i correct to assume that ( lets say i do stay overnight at kings canyon ) if i do not do the straight Yosemite to LV (7-8 hr drive ) and pass through Kings to LV, (6-7 hrs) , ill only be saving an hour?
    Hope im not confusing you...

Default Yep, I'm confused. lol

Am i correct to assume that ( lets say i do stay overnight at kings canyon ) if i do not do the straight Yosemite to LV (7-8 hr drive ) and pass through Kings to LV, (6-7 hrs) , ill only be saving an hour?
    You won't be saving anything by heading into Sequoia/Kings canyon, to do some sight seeing through Sequoia alone will add at least another 3 to 4 hours to your total trip time and will make it a couple of full days. To go from Yosemite NP direct to Vegas is more like 9 to 10 hours than 7-8 hours. Kings canyon is a further diversion as you can't go through it and out the other side, you have to go out and back on the continuation of 180 and would add even more time. Kings canyon and Sequoia are in 2 different areas and are actually 2 seperate parks that the NPS has combined.

If you have a good map [you will need one] then you can see that from Fresno you take 180 to 198 that goes through Sequoia NP and is known as the Generals highway. The Highway exits at Three rivers to Visalia and CA99, or you can take 65 down through Porterville. From Yosemite to the Visalia/ Exeter area and time to stop through Sequoia [such as at the 'Giants forest' where you can walk to the largest living thing on earth, the 'General Sherman tree'] will be a full day at a steady pace and next day you will have a 6.5 hour or so journey on to Vegas.

As mentioned the road to Kings canyon is closed at present and I would think it a bit much to include anyway. The drive through Sequoia is wonderful and as I said previously, if you are going to break your trip up with an overnight stop it is well worth it IMO. The one thing you will need to do is keep an eye on the weather forecasts, there is a little snow forecast in the Sierras over the weekend and possibly beyond.

As mentioned the road to Kings canyon is closed at present
    According to the NPS site and Caltrans, 180 is open in Kings Canyon all the way to Cedar Grove. It opened on 4/29. Hume Lake Road is also open.

7. Default

Thanks for the explanation Southwest,
    Will just skip Kings Canyon and just drive from Yosemite to Sequoia NP and stay overnight in the area. The day we drive in to Sequoia is also the day we go around and see the sights, that is probably half a day left, so will that be enough to see the giant trees and the other important sights in the area?

Btw, i do have a map but i must admit that i was planning to drive with the help of our GPS. Its ok within the city but is it ok to just look up " points of interest" on the gps or just type in our hotel address and move from there. Im sure the Yosemite NP will have a visitors center, that will be a good area for the GPS to look for.
    Same with Sequoia NP?

8. Default

Be careful with your GPS because in Mesa Verde National Park they had us making a right hand turn onto a deer trail. We knew better so it wasn't an issue for us. Not sure where they came up with that turn, but GPS's should not be TRUSTED 100%! Each time you stop check your map to get an idea of where you need to go before trusting the GPS!

Once you reach Yosemite you will get a park map and newspaper. Pull over at the parking and check out where the Yosemite Valley Visitor Center is and make sure your GPS is taking you there and not the Wawona or Tuolumne Visitor Centers! Same with Sequoia.

Utahtea

NPs are well signposted pointing to all their attractions and facilities. Rarely will you require further assistance to the place you are looking for. It is nice, though, to know on the map, where you are.

Lifey

Default Gps alert !!

Will just skip Kings Canyon and just drive from Yosemite to Sequoia NP and stay overnight in the area. The day we drive in to Sequoia is also the day we go around and see the sights, that is probably half a day left, so will that be enough to see the giant trees and the other important sights in the area?
    That's right. You will get an overview and be able to get out of the car to take pics etc but won't have loads of time to detour. As previously mentioned, stop at the Giants forest for a walk through the trees and visit the very informative museum.

Btw, i do have a map but i must admit that i was planning to drive with the help of our GPS
    Exactly that, use it to help you but use the paper map and points to guide you. For instance, if you put Yosemite NP to Sequoia NP onto Google maps it sends you to Visalia and through Three rivers to the Mineral King section near the South entrance. This would have by-passed the Generals Highway and the drive through the park. Do not rely solely on the GPS and always use the map reference points and check your GPS plotted route with it. In this instance 'Squaw valley' on 180 would make a good 'Waypoint' to take you to the park on 180 to 198.

Please do drop by and share your thoughts and trip highlights with us. Have a great time !