1. Default Nov 2011 trip to LA, San Diego, Vegas, Zion. Please help!

Hello everyone

I've been planning this trip for a little while and have spent hours reading through the site and it's been so so useful. I really need some general advice on my plans so far, am I missing some great stops or not following the best route.

We land in LA on Nov 4th and plan to stay for 3-4 days then drive down the coast to San Diego stopping over somewhere overnight on the way. I would like to do a day trip to Catalina Island. 4 days in San Diego then head to Vegas stopping in Palm Springs on the way. I am hoping that it will be warm enough here to lie by the pool and relax. We will spend 4 days in Vegas then head to Zion N.P. for a couple of nights then back to LA stopping on the way - any ideas?

The main problem is that we have from 4th to 25th Nov (21 nights) and this itinary doesn't seem to fill that! I had originally thought of heading to Bryce and the Grand Canyon but am worried about the weather. Also we really wanted to escape the UK winter so not too keen on going anywhere really cold.

Would love some advice and help please. Thanks!

Default Problem ??

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The main problem is that we have from 4th to 25th Nov (21 nights) and this itinary doesn't seem to fill that!
    I sure wish I had the same problem as you !! LOL. I could spend 3 months in this area and still have a problem deciding what I would have to leave out due to lack of time.

I really wouldn't travel across a large part of the globe and miss out on one of the natural wonders of the world because it might be cold, but that's me. The weather is unpredictable as we know and places like Bryce canyon at high elevation can get very cold especially at night, but day time temps can be pleasant. Even with the cold, I have not experienced it like here in the UK where it is a damp, grey 'miserable' cold, my experience has been a fresh crispy cold like in the Alps and layered clothing and a 'hoody' [or warm hat] will make it an enjoyable time. [I will repeat though, the weather is unpredictable].

From Zion I would definitely recommend going through Page AZ [Antelope canyon/ Lake Powell] and down to the South rim of the Grand canyon with a possible detour into Monument valley. Bryce has to be worth a little bit of cold IMO if just to stroll along the rim for a couple of hours. The drives are an adventure in themselves in this area. There are many other options like the incredible desert landscape of Death valley, Mojave preserve and Valley of fire around Vegas, or you could venture North towards San Fran and back down the amazing coastal Highway 1, Yosemite NP and Sequoia NP would be options on an inland route from Vegas. [ true gems]

Take a look at these threads for ideas, but don't let a bit of cold prevent you from having a trip of a lifetime! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    We land in LA on Nov 4th and plan to stay for 3-4 days then drive down the coast to San Diego stopping over somewhere overnight on the way. I would like to do a day trip to Catalina Island.
    If you want to do a daytrip to Catalina, you should be doing that from LA, as all of the trips depart from that area.

There isn't much of a coast to drive between LA and San Diego. You've basically got urban sprawl through Orange county, until you get to Camp Pendleton, where it is a military base with no access to the Coast. You can make the drive between LA and SD in a couple of hours and there is not much of a reason to spend the night.

4. Default

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like we should avoid the coast road then and just head straight for San Diego.

We have been to San Fran and Yosemite before so want to visit new places this time (we have been to Vegas as well but it's too much fun to miss!). Neither of us have driven on the right before as other people did the driving when I've done this sort of holiday in the past so I am a bit worried about bad road conditions around that Grand Canyon and Bryce due to the time of year. I don't know if I being overly cautious here? Maybe this is more of an issue than the cold as I agree a nice crisp cold is totally different to the damp grey weather here.

I will try to pull together a complete plan and hopefully you'll be able to spot any glaring errors!

Both Bryce Canyon and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon are open year round and see plenty of traffic throughout the year. While it's possible to see snow, you're also traveling early enough in the fall where even that would be fairly unlikely.

In early November it would be fall colours around Bryce & Zion right? We're heading that way again this end of Oct into Nov, and snow wouldn't even be on my radar, although I'd love to see Bryce covered in snow!!

Recommend Page AZ as was suggested, Antelope Canyon in particular is amazing, and for us anyway, made the grand canyon just an ok destination!

7. Default Does this look ok? Nov 11 LA-San Diego-Phoenix-Grand Canyon-Vegas. Advice welcome!

Hello

I posted an earlier thread about this trip where I was going to avoid the Grand Canyon because of concerns about the weather but I've been persuaded to go for it! We have 3 weeks from Nov 5th and the itinary at the moment is:
    LA 2 nights
    San Diego 3 nights
    Phoenix 3 nights
    Sedona 1 night
    Grand Canyon 2 nights
    Monument Valley 1 night
    Page 1 night
    Zion 2 nights
    Las Vegas 4 nights
    LA 1 night and fly home.

Does this seem doable and logical? We want some relaxation and some exploring in National Parks and cities. We will be travelling back to LA on Thanksgiving and I am assuming the roads will be ok on that day but please let me know if this is not likely to be the case.

I would love any advice. Thanks!

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-10-2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Merged

Default Very relaxed.

Everything looks in order and is very relaxed, so if you are happy with it, it's the logical decision and I am sure you will have a great trip. With the amount of time you have in Phoenix and LV you could perhaps add Bryce to the list and/or you could head to Death valley and stop on the way back to LA. The weather might have a say in things around Bryce as it is at high elevation and Death valley could be done as a day visit from Vegas, but perhaps worth considering leaving a 'free night' between Phoenix and Vegas to see how things work out.