1. Default Moving from San Diego, CA to Lansing, MI

Before anyone asks, yes, we are crazy to leave sunny San Diego for wintery Michigan. :-)

We are planning to drive with our 2 kids (ages 2 & 7) from San Diego to Lansing, MI in mid-June. We want to do it in 7 days max and be able to make it into a vacation (see sites so the kids won't go bonkers).

Looking for any suggestions as to where to stop, stay, eat...and still get to MI before the moving truck does. So far, when I just "map it out" it takes us thru Vegas, Denver, Lincoln (NE), Des Moines (IA), etc.

South of England.

Default Mapping it out.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The trip is going to be 4 full days of driving so you will have a little time to explore and have a relaxed trip but you won't be able to wander too far.

So far, when I just "map it out" it takes us thru Vegas, Denver, Lincoln (NE), Des Moines (IA), etc.
    By "When I map it out" I presume you mean that you have put the A to B points into a mapping program and let that map it out ? This is where a paper map will give you a lot more info and you can decide what route to take based on your interests. With the RTA site as a good resource you should be able to work out a basic route set on your interests and not other peoples. There is not one best route, just many options and until you get that part sorted any suggestions are not going to be that meaningful. For instance, I would probably be looking at heading for the Grand canyon South rim and up through Monument valley to Moab to I 70 or through the heart of Colorado on US 50, but you may have been before, or it is of no interest.

Once you have sorted some basics I am sure we can help to fill in any blanks.