Default Moving from DET to SF

Hi All,

I'm really glad I found you guys! This site has been a great help so far, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on my particular road trip coming up at the end of this month. I'm moving from Detroit, MI to SF, CA, and I'll be taking with me only what I can fit in my car. It's an exciting time, and I want to make sure that on the way, I'm not missing any must-see drives or hikes, :) Let me know what you think of the itinerary so far:

M 5/23: Pack car
    T 5/24: Spend night in Chicago with friends (4 hr drive)
    W 5/25: Spend night in Omaha, NB (8 hr drive)
    R 5/26: Spend night in Denver (9 hr drive)
    F 5/27: Adventure around Denver, (spend night in park?): "Rocky mountain NP just a short drive from Denver. I would certainly recommend driving to Estes park (1.5 hr drive) and then drive across RMNP on the Trail ridge Road" (2 hr drive) [highest continuous paved road in the US] at the very least. (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ry-to-the-West) and go hiking here in CO: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...ky-Mountain-NP
    S 5/28: Spend night in SLC, UT: 8.5 hr drive
    Su 5/29: Adventure around SLC with Jen
    M 5/30: Spend night in Reno, NV (8 hrs drive)
    T 5/31: Spend night in SF, CA (4 hr drive)
    W 6/1: Rest & unpack
    R 6/2: First day of work

I have friend's places to stay at in Chicago, Denver and Salt Lake City. Any advice on where to stay while in Rocky Mountain NP after a day of hiking? Also, I'm wondering if it's worth making the drive from SLC to Twin Falls, ID while I'm there, or are there must-see hikes close to SLC that I have to do instead?

Any and all advice or recommendations are welcome!

Mandy

Default Trail Ridge Road

Hi Mandy, and Welcome,

While I will leave most comments to others more familiar with the areas, I just want to warn you not to count on the Trail Ridge Road being open. The first four times I attempted to drive this great trail, I was thwarthed by winter snow not yet cleared, blizzards and out of season snow falls. This was in different years, the visits were in the months of May, June, August and September. It was in late September 2009 that I finally got to drive. It was worth the wait.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 05-09-2011 at 05:01 AM.

One observation - if you are getting your drive times from a computer, add 20% to reflect reality. Computers never have to stop for anything and never get delayed.

If Trail Ridge Road is open, you can stay in the Grand Lake/Granby area and take US-40 to SLC. If not, you can stay in Estes Park, Loveland, or Fort Collins.

Thanks Lifey and GLC, good info to be aware of.

In Estes park, where do people usually stay? I'm not going to have camping gear on me, and I imagine with the threat of blizzards, it won't be too feasible to sleep outside anyhow. Any tips to point me in a good direction? Also, I'd love to get a hike in that day as well. Maybe there's groups that go out together?

How's the highway 40 drive? Is it scenic? Slow? It looks like it might be only a few lanes. I'd be definitely down for an off the beaten path route to SLC even if it takes longer if it's worth the drive.

Any must-see sites or hikes in SLC?

I'm getting excited, :)

Mandy

Estes Park has a wide selection of motels, hotels, B&B's, cabins, and lodges.

US-40 is quite scenic and it's not slow at all. It's just over 400 miles from Granby to SLC, and is easily done in 1 day including stops. The rural speed limit along the whole stretch is 65 mph. It takes you right past Dinosaur National Monument.

Default Tahoe!

Awesome, good to hear about 40 and Estes!

I also just got recommended to bike around Lake Tahoe (78 miles) and I think I might have to do that. I'll probably adjust the trip so that I'm staying in Tahoe 5/30 and biking Tahoe 5/31, then driving to SF 6/1 after a good night's sleep.

That'd be the longest bike ride I've done before. We'll see how long I can last!

If you are moving to SF, then you really won't be far from Tahoe and could really do that on any weekend in the future.

Personally, trying to add in "the longest bike ride you've ever done" while in the middle of the stress of moving cross country isn't something I'd ever consider.

@MidwestMichael, ya, I woke up this morning and was thinking a little clearer and realized that was probably not a good idea. Might hop on part of the trail for a taste-tester, and build myself up to do the whole thing in a race next year.

Ha, 1am planning excitement is pretty funny, :)