Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Southwest Road Trip

I just started planning a road trip intended for *cough* summer of 2013. *cough*

Yes. I'm a planning nutjob.

I've never planned a road trip (or any trip) before, so I'm starting early and want to make sure that everything goes off as hitchless as possible. We'd be departing from Houston TX, stopping in for a day in Austin and San Antonio, then driving to Roswell and Santa Fe NM (passing through Roswell, I'd imagine, maybe spending a day in Santa Fe), then driving to Denver (maybe a day or two there), driving through Utah to Las Vegas (at least a few days there), then driving through Phoenix (and to the Grand Canyon), Albuquerque, Amarillo TX, OK city, maybe a quick stop in Dallas, and back home.

This is a preliminary plan, but I'd greatly appreciate your input on how long this would take, if it's feasible, etc. We plan on camping for some nights and staying in hotels in others. If there's any advice or tips you can provide, I'd really appreciate it. As I said, this is barely a skeleton of the plan, and I'll be sure to let y'all (hey, I said I was from Texas) know when I get more details figured out.

Default A start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

At this early stage in your planning I would advise that you keep researching with a good map and use all the RTA road trip planning resources available. You seem to have a long list of Cities but not much in the way of natural wonders. I would certainly try and balance that aspect of your trip, but then again you must base it on your interests of which we know nothing about. Just to cover the miles you are looking at 8 days of driving and then you mention a couple of days here and a few days there and no doubt you will want to sight see along the way, so I would say 3 weeks would make it a nice balance between driving and relaxing. Of course you could spend 3 months and not see everything so really it comes down to how much time you can spare and how long your budget will last. If they are both endless then I am truly jealous. LOL.

Enjoy the planning and keep asking questions as they crop up.

3. Default

3 weeks was right about the goal, thanks so much! I'll keep planning and questioning- and thanks for the warm welcome.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    3 weeks was right about the goal, thanks so much! I'll keep planning and questioning- and thanks for the warm welcome.
    Do you have more time for this trip? If so, we could suggest a lot of amazing places (not cities) to stop and see on the way.

5. Default

We most certainly do! Honestly, the only cities that are somewhat nonnegotiable are Austin/San Antonio and Vegas. The rest just seemed like logical stops. If there are good places to stop on the way, I'm all ears!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
    We most certainly do! Honestly, the only cities that are somewhat nonnegotiable are Austin/San Antonio and Vegas. The rest just seemed like logical stops. If there are good places to stop on the way, I'm all ears!
    I wasn't going to change any of the cities, just add scenic places and interesting things to see and do on your way. BUT, since you brought up Austin and San Antonio, you might want to consider doing those as a weekend trip from Houston since they are so close. Think about how many times you are going to be either setting up and taking down camp or unpacking and packing a motel room. This can get tiring on a long trip.

Lincoln, New Mexico: Lincoln County Wars http://www.legendsofamerica.com/nm-l...countywar.html

Captian, New Mexico: The birth place of Smokey the Bear

Rocky Mountain National Park north of Denver

I-70 from Denver west is a beautiful, scenic section of interstate.

Moab, Utah south of I-70 in Utah is home of Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park.

Other areas of Utah to consider Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park before reaching Las Vegas, NV. There are many more places in Colorado and Utah

There are several great places along I-40 to find old Historic Route 66 from Kingman, AZ to Oklahoma City.

Holbrook, AZ you might consider taking Hwy 180 to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert and you can drive north on the park road back to I-40.

Before you reach Amarillo watch for Cadillac Ranch on the south side I-40.

Utahtea

7. Default

Since it'll be both of our first road trips, we figured that doing two cities that aren't ghastly out of the way but still have interesting attractions (and let us ease ourselves in) might be a good idea. Thanks for the other ideas though- I'd only thought about the Cadillac Ranch!

8. Default

We just camped our way through Utah and i can give you a few tips that might save you money.

Bureau of Land Management - They offer a lot of really cheap recreation opportunities, sites near Moab were $8 or $12, but you get 1/2 off if you have a Park Pass. Usually first come first serve but depending on the exact time and where you go you can find some great spots for next to nothing. You can go early get a spot and just leave a sign saying you claimed it, they have posts you leave your pay stub too. Then go enjoy the park and have a spot saved, we left our tent and no one ever bothered it, but some people might not want to leave theirs.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...mpgrounds.html

We stayed at a few places along 128, along the River. very scenic. They have many more on the other side near Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands.

Another great site we found that's very convenient and scenic is the Virgin River Campgrounds. It's between St.George UT and Mesquite NV.

http://www.campsitephotos.com/campgr...ecreation-Area

Also The State parks are very nice if you want more features, like running water :) Some BLM sites don't have running water, you should always no matter where you are have lots of water!

9. Default

Another thing make sure you read some http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Solitai.../dp/0345326490 if you haven't already.

10. Default Phoenix/Tucson vs Grand Canyon?

Alrighty, I'm planning a road trip around the southwest, from houston texas, through NM, AZ, NV, and so on. I've currently planned my way to Roswell NM, but I'm not really sure what direction to take it from there. It makes sense to go through Phoenix and Tucson, but (having been to Phoenix briefly), I'm not sure exactly what there is to do there. The current plan is Roswell -> Tucson -> Phoenix -> Grand Canyon -> Vegas, but that seems like a lot of driving for two cities I'm not 100% sure I want to see. Thoughts?

Mod Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-19-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Merged threads