Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default San Francisco -> Los Angeles -> Las Vegas

Hi guys, im looking for ideas of places to stop off between SF and LA during my trip in 2012.

We are not in any rush and would like to stay at different places for the nights on the trip between SF and LA. we are more city people than parks etc, if this makes sense.

We plan to ditch the car in LA and just get a bus to Las Vegas, spend few days there then depart on a flight home from LV.

Below is my current plan....

US Trip 2012
    San Francisco -> Los Angeles -> Las Vegas

Fly from London to San Francisco. DIRECT FLIGHT

Stay in San Francisco from days 1-3. On day four embark on a road trip towards Los Angeles.

Rent car, drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles (drive split across days 4-7)

Day 4- Leave SF - arrive ?
    Day 5- ?
    Day 6 – Arrive Santa Barbara (1 Night)
    Day 7 – Arrive LA
    Spend days 7-12 in LA then get a bus to Las Vegas. Spend days 12-14 in Las Vegas.

Default Highway 1

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Highway 1 around Big Sur is very popular and one of the worlds top coast drives. You will find a lot of info searching around the forums and using search terms such as Big Sur, PCH, SF to LA etc. You will also find info by scrolling down this page and looking at 'Similar threads' of which you can repeat as many times as you wish.

Monterey/Carmel would make a good area to stop the first night and then make your way around Big Sur to San Simeon/Cayucos/Cambria area for another night. As well as the spectacular drive you will find State parks and you could take a Hearst castle tour. The tours are popular and I would recommend booking in advance.

3. Default

thanks for the reply.

is san jose or anwhere around there worth visiting?

4. Default Rate my West Coast Road Trip (SUMMER 2012)

planning a trip. fly to vegas. bus it to LA, then road trip from there upto SF. check details below. any tips or suggestions would be great...THANKS

DAY 1- Fly from London to LAS VEGAS. DIRECT FLIGHT
    Stay in LAS VEGAS from days 1-4.

DAY 4 – BUS to LOS ANGELES

DAYS 4-8 - LA

DAY 8 - Rent car, drive from LA to SAN FRANCISCO (drive split across days 8-10)

Day 8 – Drive to Santa Barbara (1 Night)

DAY 9 – Drive to MONTEREY (1 NIGHT)

Day 10 – ARRIVE SAN FRANCISO

DAY 14 – LEAVE FOR LONDON

will we need a car whilst in LA? was only going to rent from there to drive to SF.....is public transport alright in LA??

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-04-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Merged

Default Out of 10?

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Rating trips is not exactly my forte. But if the trip is what you want to do, then it is a 10 out of 10. :)

The answers to your specific question, 'will you need a car in LA'? It all depends on what you want to do and where you plan to stay. Public transport is not crash hot, and it can take you quite a while to get around. by bus, and the rail.

Your plan to go by bus from LV to LA is more problematic. There is very little in the way of transport between these cities. You might find that renting a car will be a much better proposition. Another problem is going to be your trip to SF. Santa Barbara to Monterey is a very long day, with little time to stop and admire the fantastic views along the way. It would be better if you could make it to Pismo Beach or Morro Bay or Cambria, and then to Monterey the next day.

If you have not already booked the tickets, and if the days in the particular places are not for any appointments, I suggest you consider doing this trip the other way around. Or have you thought of doing a loop, starting and ending in the one place, and doing it anti-clockwise?

Lifey

Default looks fine

I agree with Lifey, someone elses "rating" doesn't matter if its a trip that covers the ground that you want to cover.

From a logistical perspective, it looks perfectly fine. I would agree that you might want to get farther than Santa Barbara, you could make it work if you had to.

I will disagree with Lifey about getting between LV and LA, there are several bus company options and you should have no problems at all finding a ride. You might also look at flights, since there are often deals that can make that very short but popular leg as cheap to fly as it is to bus. I'd also look at the cost of the extra days of car rental as it could work out to be cheaper to rent than bus/fly since you'll have to rent a car in LA anyway.

You might also look to reverse your trip to go south along the Coast, like you originally planned, which would let you drive on the ocean side of the road.

I'll mention that your plan doesn't include yosemite or death valley, just to make sure you've considered them, but every trip involves choices of what you will or won't see.

Default Honestly.

I have to agree with the others, it is your trip and it's what you want that matters. As spending your time in the City appeals to you, and if you have researched the area and that still appeals the most, then go for it !

From the point of view of someone who doesn't particularly like the city life, [namely me] and who wouldn't rate flying half way around the world to see three of them and not much else, I'm afraid I wouldn't score your trip to highly. [sorry but you asked. LOL.]

Personally I would have driven from LV to LA and included some of the worlds finest scenery, by driving through Death valley to Yosemite over the spectacular Sierra Nevada to San Fran, and then driven south down the coast to LA for a more balanced trip. This would also give you the advantage of the Ocean being on your side of the road heading south, and not having to cross traffic to get to the Ocean side viewpoints. The day on the bus, plus one day taken from a 'city day' would enable you to do this, although an extra half/full day would make it more relaxed and let you benefit more from one of the most wonderful places [that is easy to get to] on the planet, Yosemite.

As said, it's your trip and what works for you is the important thing, I just though I would offer you 'Food for thought'.

8. Default

hello

i understand your views.

im a city boy and my main thing is to see some of the citys. mainly being LA and VEGAS.

as a bonus we thought we would go to San Francisco.

With regards to the trip we thought we would get the bus from Vegas to LA so we could 'chill' a little before we hit LA.

We thought we would go to the hottest places first moving onto the cooler places towards the end of the trip. Being SF.

The main things we want to do are general touristy things. nothing too out of the ordinary becuase of time constraints.

With regards to going all round the world just to see cities this is where i am looking for your advice.

I DO want to start in vegas, then go to LA , then take car from there onwards.

Here is where i ask for your help. I am looking for 2 places on the way to STOP, check out and stay in hotel that night.

Please advise, i appreciate your help and words.

cheers.

as a bonus we thought we would go to San Francisco.
    I have to say, I really enjoyed San Fran and if you can find the time, you may want to consider taking a boat trip to Alcatraz Island.

Here is where i ask for your help. I am looking for 2 places on the way to STOP, check out and stay in hotel that night.
    As mentioned by Lifemagician, the Cambria and Monterey areas would be ideal. You can check out lodging options by browsing Hotel deals to the top right of the page.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I have to say, I really enjoyed San Fran and if you can find the time, you may want to consider taking a boat trip to Alcatraz Island.

As mentioned by Lifemagician, the Cambria and Monterey areas would be ideal. You can check out lodging options by browsing Hotel deals to the top right of the page.
    Hi we plan on going to Alcatraz for sure.

was thinking on leaving los angeles, check out santa barbara on the way to cambria. stay 1 nite cambria. next day set off and stop at big sur and then stay night at monterey. then next day set off for san franciso.

how does this sound guys?