1. Default Texas to Estes Park Co.

My Daughter has planned a wedding in Estes Park, Co. I have booked a place to stay in Estes Park now I am trying to to find a place to stay on day 1, leaving DFW 5am hopefully north east New Mexico or southeast Colorado. On the trip me, wife, and two grown kids (21 & 24) the hard part will be the return trip, we will have daughters dog. Fly fishing and hiking, site seeing are our goals.
    Leave 5-19-11 am return 5-24-11. Any help guys?

South of England.

Default A 'good' days travel.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Raton in NM would make for a good day on the road as it will break the back of the journey without being too far that could leave you weary next day.

RMNP and the Bear lake corridor has some wonderful walks/hikes from easy to moderate to difficult. Check out the NPS website for details. If you have a little extra time on the return journey for sight seeing you have 'Garden of the Gods and 'Cave of the Winds' near Manitou Springs, 'Royal Gorge bridge' near Canon City and the Great Sand dunes NP to name but a few options. Not sure how 'dog friendly' they are though.

Joplin MO

If you can't find a place that you like in Raton, Trinidad CO is less than 30 minutes north and looks like it has a better selection of hotels.

If you are looking to really take your time and make it a full 2 days, Amarillo is the halfway point. There is very little between Amarillo and Raton.

My husband and I went a similar route, down I-25 through CO, across the NE corner of NM, and then diagonally down through Texas to DFW last summer. We didn't cover quite so much in a day, though, as you're planning to. The southern stretch through CO is pretty sketch And the NE corner of NM is scenic but mostly cattle ranches; you won't see many people.

But around Estes Park there's tons to do. Don't miss Rocky Mountains National Park, it should be beautiful.

Also, just a bit north of Colorado Springs, CO, just off of I-25 is the Air Force Academy. They have a museum, a short tour of sorts and some beautiful views from their chapel.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 05-10-2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: good neighbor rules