1. Default LA to Vancouver, 1st US road trip.

Hi. Coming over from the UK in August and planning to travel from LA to Vancouver over three weeks using Highways 1 and 101. We have not pre-booked accommodation and hoping to either pitch a tent or get a Motel each evening as we do not want to have specified daily destinations or times, we would like to remain flexible which should add to the adventure.
    So, is this advisable or are we asking for trouble? Is it possible to just turn up at camp sites and pitch a tent for one night only or is advance booking a requirement , as it is August will camp sites be full, can you pitch a tent at RV camps?? Any advice appreciated.
    Also, any places best to avoid on this route in August?
    Many thanks

Campsites can be very hit or miss as far as reservations go. It all depends on the area and current events. Since you are going in August this could be good and this could be bad.

I would expect that most of the festivals and such for the year are over but you never know. Also, the kids go back to school about the middle(varies) of August so there will not be as many familys traveling. On the other hand, familys may be getting their last summer vacation in at the last second.

For this I would highly suggest buying: National Geographic Adventure Atlas. It shows a ton of campsites right on the map. I own one and so far it has been very useful in my planning.

Most of the campgrounds I have been to do not require a reservation but it is always suggested. Also, you never know how late the office is open. Usually till midnight-ish for most places on the weekend from my experiences.

Many RV campgrounds also have tent camping but not all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by liwyenolo View Post
    We have not pre-booked accommodation and hoping to either pitch a tent or get a Motel each evening as we do not want to have specified daily destinations or times, we would like to remain flexible which should add to the adventure.

So, is this advisable or are we asking for trouble? Is it possible to just turn up at camp sites and pitch a tent for one night only
    As one who rarely books anything, and uses campgrounds quite a bit, I would say, go for it. A couple of things which will help you. Make sure you bring your automobile club membership from the UK, with you. This will give you access to free tourist information at the AAA. As well as collecting maps at the AAA, make sure you pick up the camping book for the States in which you will be travelling.

If you are in a busy area, and concerned, call during that day, and check availability. It may take a couple of phone calls before you find a place, but from what I have found, that is rare..... even in August. Still, it beats driving around from one to the other.

I have also found that when arriving at a campground unannounced, and the place is full (very rare), most are then willing to call around, or advice you where you will find a place. Not all, but most will.

And the same goes for motels.

Suffice to say, I have never ended up without somewhere to stay.