Default Road trip in September

Hi, I have started planning a 17 day trip in early Sept, have the first 7 days with Motel 6 stop off's at the following locations, starting point of Denver and then Fort Collins, Rock Springs, Jackson, Helena, Missoula and finally Kalispell. The idea being that I work my way up to the Glacier Park via Yellowstone. After that I thought I would loose the pre booked accomondation and take it as it comes heading east and then south through N and S Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas and then back to Denver. Is that a good idea or too big a target. Are there likey to be cheapish roadside motels freely available, and anything that would be a must see and do stopover, open to all suggestions, want that, wonder whats down there freedom for the second half of the trip. Refering to one of the threads about the impact on fuel prices, I have downgraded my car hire to something a bit more economical, well a mustang was going to be part of the trip but reality check time, Martin

Default Doable.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums ! [From Sussex]

Is your first night in Denver ? Even a short journey to Fort Collins after an International flight, check in and collecting a rental can be exhausting. If you have a night in Denver and your next stop is Fort Collins you would have time to visit part of Rocky mountain NP. I also think that you could have done with another night closer to Yellowstone, the park is huge and to get from Jackson to Helena won't leave you much time to enjoy this natural wonder and then from Helena you only have a couple of hours or so on the road before your next stop.

You can certainly head East as you plan too from Kalispell and you could include places like the Black Hills, Custer State park, Mt Rushmore and Badlands in SD along the way. Another option would be to head South back into Southern Utah and Colorado where there is a concentration of amazing National parks like Bryce canyon, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Black canyon and much, much more. The Grand canyon and Monument valley wouldn't be out of the question either and some of the Red rock and desert scenery may add contrast to your trip. Lots of great driving roads too !

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a bed for the night by 'winging it' for the second half of your trip.

Have a look around and work on what you want to see with the help of a good map and keep asking questions as you go.

Now that made me smile, an answer from someone who is from Sussex, Denver is a first night stop, will heed your advice about an extra night in Yellowstone area, and the second half of the trip still needs fine tuning whilst remaining flexible, thanks for the advise, guarantee I will be back with more questions,

There are budget hotel chains such as Motel 6 and Super 8 almost everywhere along the Interstate highways.

dont forget the Devils tower while you are out there... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by illusion View Post
    dont forget the Devils tower while you are out there... ;)
    Wow, I had missed that, definately going on the list