Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seattle to SFO in RV for 5 days

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a last minute RV trip from Seattle to San Fran for 5 adults and a 5 months old baby! We are leaving May 14 and would like to reach Seattle back on the 19th. Is it doable? Please let me know what are the main great attractions between these 2 points and I know there are a lot! We are not planning to hike, etc.. just to stop and enjoy scenic views on Highway 1.. visit tourist attraction possible with a baby, sleepover in nice RV parks, eat lots of seafoods and BBQ!

Tentative plan:
    Day1 (5/14): Leave on Saturday at 1pm, hit I-5 to Olympia, then hit 101 through South bend, make quick stop for pictures at Astoria, Seaside, and Cannon Beach. Overnight near Lincoln City, anyone knows nice RV park?
    http://www.cbrvresort.com/sitemap.php

Day2 (5/15)
    Continue south on 101 quick stop for pictures at Depoe Bay and Seal Rock, stops to visit Haceta Head, and Sea Lion Caves (2 hrs max for both), quick stops for pictures at Yachats, Florence, Bandon, Gold Beach, Crescent City, Redwood through Avenue of the Giants, Eureka and finally sleepover at Mendocino.

Day3 (5/16)
    Continue down to San Fran and reach around noon. Check in RV park and take the day to explore major tourist attractions in SF by public transportation. Suggestions?
    san francisco RV resort

Day4 (5/17)
    Journey back north through Sacremanto, hit I-5 through Redding and take 97 to Crater Lake to sleepover at RV park. Any nice place to see in between?

Day5 (5/18)
    Continue north on 97 to Bend and then take 126 / 20 to Silver Falls. Sleepover there. Any nice places?

Day6 (5/19)
    Back to Seattle through I84 and then I5. Reach before 11 am to return RV. Stop at mt. St. Helens or Rainier if we have enough time.

Does this sounds reasonable? Any suggestions of must - visit or don't visit places on my lists? We are first-time RV'er so some of it might not make sense.

Thanks!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your plan just isn't realistic at all. You are trying to do far too much in too little time. Trying to drive 500 miles along the coast in one day - or 300 miles in a half day - is just too much under any circumstance even before stops, but trying to do it in an RV with 5 adults and a baby is just not going to happen. Literally, the only thing you have time to do on the trip you've laid out is drive, drive, and drive, from sun up until sun down.

I would strongly recommend you seriously scale back on your plans. I'd completely cut out San Francisco, and say you've done a good, hard trip, if you make it to the redwoods before you turn around and head back north.

Ok. thanks Michael! I was hoping with 5 adults, we have enough drivers to be on the road most of the time except night. Would adding one / two more day, and cutting some of the places mentioned above make more sense? I'm pretty flexible up to 2 more days. And please recommend on places I can cut back on.

Do you really want to be on the road, most of the time? It gets pretty tedious sitting in a vehicle all day five days in a row, watching the road side through the windscreen. Won't you at times, want to go for a little walk, and enjoy some of the wonderful places through which you will be passing? Your request was for great attractions, but you are not leaving yourself anytime to stop at them, let alone enjoy them.

Default Another consideration

You will be travelling with a 5 month old baby. There is absolutely no way you can keep a five month old baby in a baby capsule for five days in a row. At best you will have a screaming and irritable child. At worst you could be reported for cruelty. Five month old babies need variety and cuddling. They need feeding and restful sleep. None of this can be achieved in a moving vehicle. And you have to remember, that by law, all occupants of a moving vehicle (including an RV) need to be in proper restraints. And even if it was not law, would you risk the life of any of your party, just to cover more miles?

This trip needs a serious rethink with drastic cutbacks to make it a trip to remember. I would cut back the travelling to 50% of daylight hours.

Default its not a matter of cutting

Cutting the things on your list really isn't the first step. Under your first plan, you simply wouldn't have time to stop at any of them. You just overestimated how far you can travel so badly, that you didn't have time for any of the stops. Just trying to trim a stop here or there really wouldn't change anything.

Having 5 drivers would let you drive from sunrise to sunset, and from that standpoint, you might just be able to cover these miles. But I can't imagine that 5 of you simply want to sit in an RV all day, every day for 5 days, and I'm quite certain doing so with a baby would drive some/all or you insane!

Extending the trip to 7 days would really be the bare minimum if you want to reach San Francisco. However, the bigger question you need to ask is what kind of trip do you want to have. Do you want to have a trip where you are using the 5 drivers to cover as much ground as possible, or do you want to have a trip where you can take your time, and stop to explore the many interesting places you've talked about. The answer to that question really is going to provide the key as to what you can see and have a good trip.

OK, I get it.. That's the whole reason I asked this question anyway, to see if it's possible. Since the answer is no, then we are extending our trip to a week and hoping to have a pleasent drive / tour. So, with this said.. are there any places i mentioned above may not be that interesting to see or not doable with a baby?

8. Default

It's been almost 40 years since we drove up the coast from Ft. Bragg to Crescent City, but it was some of the most miserable slow going road I can remember and we were in a Mercedes Benz not an RV at the time!

On day 2 you were driving 480 miles which includes of some of the most curvy slow going roads and it will literally take at least 2 days...no matter how many drivers you have.

As a long time RV'er of over 30 years, I would suggest only going as far south as Reedsport (maybe North Bend) and cut across but really no father than Crescent City and then work your way back up and make this a more relaxing trip for everyone. Enjoy several places along the coast instead of trying to fit to much in such a short time. Your original route is 1800 miles which you would want 2 weeks at the minimum to do!

I would imagine that you will be renting a pretty large RV so keep in mind you can't go as fast as cars on some of these curvy roads. Driving an RV is more tiring than a car so it's good you have 5 drivers that can take turns. Parking will be a bear at most places because you need a large spot which not every place you want to go might have. I recommend stopping for the night and get set up before dark since you are new to RVing. Hooking up, dumping, taking showers, getting gas...will take time out of your day.

I would skip Crater Lake because you are going to drive 120 miles just to get a glimpse of the lake from one point because most of the roads might still be closed. http://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

Also be aware that many of the roads at Mt. Rainer will be closed. http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/road-status.htm

I would suggest I 84 the Columbia River Gorge out of Portland, OR and go see the many beautiful waterfalls along this route. http://www.byways.org/explore/byways...tinerary/53147

Utahtea

Default In this case, less is more!

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    It's been almost 40 years since we drove up the coast from Ft. Bragg to Crescent City, but it was some of the most miserable slow going road I can remember
    It's wonderful to see Utahtea back on this forum, it's been a long time. That being said, a field report on a road that she's not seen in 40 years is a bit problematic. I've driven this road perhaps a dozen times over the last 20 -- in a RV and more often in a sedan. Yes, parts of the road have some very twisty sections and the top speed for the section of road between Hwy 1 between the coast and Leggett (US 101) in a RV is probably 25 mph. But it's a beautiful journey in the coastal mountains. Other stand-out sections would be the Avenue of the Giants, Redwood National Park, etc.

But getting back to the point of the other respondents.... Traveling in a RV is only fun if you limit the on-the-road time to 5-6 hours each day. It takes time to set-up and strike camp every day and even with 7 days, your route is too long. The longest average distance you can travel along the coast in RV with 5 adults and a baby is probably about 275 miles.

If you routed a trip that just explored the coastal highways of Washington and Oregon, you'd still have a blast. Oregon State Parks are some of the nicest in the country. Yes, you can do a longer trip, but you'll be spending most of the time in the RV -- and there's only two good viewing windows in a RV -- drivers and front passenger -- so the fatigue factor is going to be extreme for the other adults.

One more question -- Is this a rental RV?

Mark

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    It's wonderful to see Utahtea back on this forum, it's been a long time. Mark
    Thanks Mark, I've been gone to long. Hopefully my schedule will allow more time on my favorite forums!

That being said, a field report on a road that she's not seen in 40 years is a bit problematic. Mark
    You're right it has been to long since we've seen this road to know if there have been changes made. (Although I doubt much has changed) What I was trying to point out was that after almost 40 years this section of road stood out in my mind as one I didn't enjoy driving. We've traveled thousands upon thousands of miles over the last 39 years and some stand out and others don't but there aren't too many roads that I didn't like.
    One more question -- Is this a rental RV?
    In narfiaska first post under Day 6 she said they had to turn in the RV, so I would think it's either a rental or they are borrowing one.

Utahtea
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-08-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added a missing "o"